E-PL5 battery door

soggs

New to Mu-43
I wonder if some of the e-pl5 owners could just check something for me?

I've had my camera for a while now, but have just noticed that the battery door does not sit flush with the bottom of the camera when the battery is inserted. I've attached some images of the camera with and without the battery for comparison and want to know whether this is something that I should be worried about or whether its how the e-pl5 is, or possibly other Olympus M43 cameras?

I have checked my other cameras, DSLR and a super zoom compact, and neither of these have the same problem. It's not a big issue, the camera works perfectly, it's just aesthetically a bit off putting, and I'm not sure if it will get worse.

The first 3 images are without the battery in and the following 3 with it in.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Without battery3.jpg
    Without battery3.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 198
  • Without battery2.jpg
    Without battery2.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Without battery1.jpg
    Without battery1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 162
  • With battery3.jpg
    With battery3.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 155
  • With battery2.jpg
    With battery2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 170
  • With battery1.jpg
    With battery1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 165

soggs

New to Mu-43
my EPL5's battery door is fine...

Thanks for letting me know about yours, maybe I've just got a duff one.
It doesn't affect the camera at all, it's just whether I can put up with it.

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
mine looks like your pics No 1 and 2 (with the battery). Not completely in line, but not as much as pics 4, 5 and 6.

Without the battery it's completely flat.

soggs

New to Mu-43
Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like I've got a bit of a dodgy battery door on mine then :frown:

To be honest it's not a big issue, it doesn't affect how the camera works, and 99% of the time I won't even see it as it's on the bottom of the camera.
It's just a shame as it's one of those things that will just bug me a little bit. I very much doubt I'll be able to get it exchanged anyway as it's not really a fault as such.

Thanks again for those of you who checked your cameras for me :smile:

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Looking at the EPL5, the door has a sliding metal tab that fits into a slot on the side of the battery compartment. If the door doesn't stay down, then the assembly on the door may be lifting off the door. It's only held by three plastic plugs. On my XZ1, they used screws.
M5230061.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Also, the rectangular slot on the battery compartment may be cracked at the corner, so it is lifting. I dropped my EPM1, which has the same design as the EP5 and broke away the top of that slot. I glued in a piece of plastic, but it made the slot too wide and the door lifted a bit. Olympus later replaced the battery compartment when I had the camera fixed.

M5230059.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
Mine does not stick up at all. When a battery is inserted it does put pressure on the battery door. Possibly the door got sprung open too far or it is a fit and finish issue.

soggs

New to Mu-43
Looking at the EPL5, the door has a sliding metal tab that fits into a slot on the side of the battery compartment. If the door doesn't stay down, then the assembly on the door may be lifting off the door. It's only held by three plastic plugs. On my XZ1, they used screws.

I will have a look at the door fixing when I get home to see if it is this that is causing the door to lift slightly.

Also, the rectangular slot on the battery compartment may be cracked at the corner, so it is lifting. I dropped my EPM1, which has the same design as the EP5 and broke away the top of that slot. I glued in a piece of plastic, but it made the slot too wide and the door lifted a bit. Olympus later replaced the battery compartment when I had the camera fixed.

I'll take a close look at the compartment too to see if there's any damage, but I haven't dropped it so it might be a flaw in the camera I have. The one thing I did notice is that the metal clip that holds the battery down does have a very small amount of play in it so I wonder if it is this that is forcing the compartment door open slightly. Does yours move slightly too?

soggs

New to Mu-43
Mine does not stick up at all. When a battery is inserted it does put pressure on the battery door. Possibly the door got sprung open too far or it is a fit and finish issue.

I think it might just be a fit and finish issue. I'm pretty certain that it's nothing that I have done myself by forcing something when I shouldn't have, I'm pretty careful with all my kit.

Latest threads

Top Bottom