E-PL5, basic controls without using menus?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sinar, Apr 12, 2013.

1. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Hello,

I currently have a Panasonic GH2, which I love, but I'm considering getting an E-PL5 as a more compact alternative to use with small primes.

I always shoot aperture priority, and regularly like to change aperture and ISO, and sometimes use exposure compensation.

Can anyone tell me if I can set the E-PL5 up so I can alter aperture/ISO/Exposure compensation without having to resort to going through menus?

Thanks

2. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I have the epl5 and 90% of my shooting is in aperture priority. Just rotate the dial to change aperture. For iso, go into the menu one time and set the function button to assign it to iso. After that, press fn button, rotate the dial to desired iso, press ok or shutter release halfway. EV is done by pressing the ev button, rotate to desired ev, press ok or shutter release halfway.

3. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    I also have the EPL5 and the above suggestions are essentially the exact same setup im using. It should cover the functions that youre looking for.

4. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Thanks for the replies, that's just what I wanted to hear :smile:

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just curious -- why the EPL5 and not the GX1?

6. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I forgot to mention that when in aperture priority you can just press the ev button and both aperture and ev can be changed by pressing up/down on dial (yellow arrows show on screen) for aperture change and left/right dial (yellow arrows show on screen) for ev change

7. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    I much prefer the sensor in the E-PL5, and also have mostly Olympus lenses so quite like the idea of having in body IS, also i like the tilting screen.

8. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    I've just ordered one, I think it will make a nice compact system, carrying it around with the 12, 20 and 45mm :smile:

9. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Make sure you enable the Super Control panel, then you don't have to go into menus for ISO, Focus Mode, things like that. It's all on the control panel for direct access.

I shoot Aperture Priority most of the time and have dial lock off, so rotating the dial sets the aperture directly.

EV compensation, ISO setting, Focus mode and quite a few other useful settings are available through the SCP (Super Control Panel) on the fly, without going into the menus at all.

P.

10. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    That is exactly why I have just switched from GF2 to E-PL5. You also need to turn off the control wheel lock so you can twiddle the control wheel without having to press EV+- first. Once you get it set up how you want it the features are very good. There are almost too many options but in the end you can almost get it perfect. 3 mysets used and a couple of custom buttons and two top dial settings re-defined and I hope I am now ready for anything.

Keith

11. sinar

sinar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2010
    Gainsborough, England
    Thanks, i've downloaded the manual so i can learn the basics while i'm waiting for it to arrive :smile: