1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL5 Axis Stabilisation

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bigboysdad, Sep 6, 2013.

1. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Hi All,

Is there any real world difference between the 3 Axis Stabilisation system of the E-PL5 and the 5 Axis stabilisation system of the E-M5/ E-P5, that you'd actually tell the difference or significantly improves the photo? If so, in what scenario would that apply?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Massive difference. 5 axis is good for 3-4 stops. 2 axis maybe 1-2. 5 axis much better on video too.

3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Thanks for the reply. It seems like there may be a valid reason to upgrade to an EP5 from an E-PL5 then.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, if IBIS is important to you, then it will be a worthwhile upgrade. The extra dial is mighty useful too (as is the HLD6 grip if you go for an E-M5), but in most other ways the EPL5 delivers the goods. There'll be no difference in IQ for sure across any of them.

5. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    I was strongly thinking of upgrading to the P5, from my PL5...I just keep thinking I would be better off putting the funds towards glass instead. So far, the 3 axis hasn't give me any issues...although I have no idea about the 5 axis as I've never used it...yet!

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It may not be worth the extra cost, but it does make a measurable difference.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The difference applies when using a slower shutter speed. When using a faster shutter speed, the difference is not there or negligible.

It really is that simple. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    If you shoot a lot of static or semi-static subject in low light, it's tremendously useful. If you only shoot in the daytime, it's virtually negligible. I shoot half my images at night with non-stabilized primes, so it's hugely important for me, and imo a valid enough reason to choose the system over APS-C or even many equivalent FF kits. It's also bar none the best integrated stabilization system for video, despite some quirks.

But again, this only matters contextually.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I just moved from an E-PL5 to a an E-M5. When I take close up shots of flowers and spiders/insects, I can see a huge difference in the lack of motion blur with the E-M5. My hands aren't the steadiest and this is the main reason I changed, but it was nice to see it verified.

• Like Like x 1