1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL5 as addition to OM-D for my wife

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pjuk, Feb 7, 2013.

1. pjuk

pjuk Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012
    London
    I've had my OM-D for about 6 months now and absolutely love it - the size, weight, IBIS and selection of lenses. Whenever I hand it over to my wife she gets overwhelmed by the dials and knobs and will tend to shoot using iAuto :sad010: Currently she has a Panasonic Lumix TZ-10 which is great to sling into her handbag and has taken some serious abuse over the years.

She has shown interest in learning more "advanced" techniques and I thought that the E-PL5 is a nice introduction to playing around with manual controls + she can pair it up with whatever lenses I'm not using!

Does this sound like a reasonable suggestion/idea?

Thanks, Pj

2. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Why not the E-PM2? It's a bit slimmer and it's available in red. You already have a tiltable screen on your OM-D.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Could work, yes, but honestly, the E-M5 is an easier camera to learn 'fiddling around with advanced controls' with, simply because each basic function is easy to adjust with a more-or-less dedicated dial (with the exception of ISO, but that's easy to customize).

IQ-wise, you can't go wrong with either the PL5 or the PM2. The deciding factors will be 1) EVF requirement and 2) flip screen requirement.

4. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I think you're on the right track.

The E-PL5 takes great shots on i-auto or Program, but is capable of so much more.

The point is, when she's ready to try stuff, the E-PL5 is ready for her.

It feels more solid and looks the part which actually could encourage her to explore more deeply. While the E-PM2 can do everything as well, it looks and feels like a P&S, and probably will be treated as one.

Between the mode dial and the programmable buttons, I can quickly move between Program, Aperture priority, HDR Bracket and Exposure Bracket.

SCP lets me switch focus modes quickly as well.

Hey, if she doesn't bond with it, put it in your own bag with an alternate lens as a backup to your OM-D.

P.

5. pjuk

pjuk Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012
    London
    She prefers black, but I like you thinking :) I've heard that the E-PL5 is better built albeit slightly heavier and larger.

Having moved away from DSLR bodies to the OM-D I'm now less reliant on the EVF and started to really enjoy the flip screen for those awkward shots when I don't feel the need to lie on the floor to get the shot framed.

I am leaning toward the E-PL5 because of the mode dial. My other idea was when we are both out and about, two cameras may prove useful in order to prevent too much lens swapping - we could share the roles :cool:

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    The 20 or 14mm on an epm2 would fit nicely in a purse. Just ask my wife, she loves hers. I upgraded her fom the xz-1.

7. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Most functions are buried deeper in the E-PL5's interface - not to say that they can't be learned, but it is an extra step of learning compared to the OM-D.

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    +3 on the E-PM2 idea. In my opinion, it actually feels a bit better in hand... a tiny bit more area to grip, without the tilt screen frame.

I did buy an E-PL3 before for my wife and she never used the tilt screen. I love tilt screens, but I appreciate the fact that the E-PM2 is that much smaller than my E-M5. It makes a fantastic compact carry option with the 20/1.7, or other small prime.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The tilt screen is hard to call. I never gave it much thought at first, but now I usually shoot with the E-PL5 at waist level with the screen flipped up. I find I can hold the camera in a more steady position.

10. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Agree on the 20 and 14 are nice matches for the Pen series. My E-PL5 has pretty much replaced my XZ-1, as well. Except in extreme circumstances where I want to travel really light, or don't want to worry about a more $$$ camera - getting stolen, lost or damaged, ie.

On the tilt screen-don't think I could go back to a non-tilting screen, but I do like to use a tripod often; and if I'm not using a tripod or shooting from the hip, I'm using a VF-2.