E-PL5 as a back-up for the OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slothead, Nov 11, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I have been strongly leaning toward the E-PL5 as a back-up for my OM-D. I like that fact that is it so much smaller, but then I noticed that their batteries are different. I really like to economize on batteries and battery chargers. Is there any chance that the BLN-1 uses the same charger as the BLS-5 battery? Where can I even find that out?
  2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The case size, and terminal (3 pins vs 5) layout differ. BLS1 batteries are slightly longer. The Oly BLN1 battery charger also uses a slightly higher voltage too.

One could make an adapter to fit a EM5 battery in a PEN charger. It would not get fully charged because of the voltage difference. That's how the third party units work. However, if you were traveling, you would probably like to have both chargers running at night anyway.
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    PEN series Compatibility Table - OLYMPUS Digital Camera

It appears that Olympus did not choose to make the chargers compatible.

I have 3rd party batteries for the OM-D, supplied by BlueNook. The Olympus charger will not charge the BlueNook batteries but the BlueNook charger will charge the Olympus battery (to a reported 95% of capacity). I've not had any issues charging the 3rd party batteries and the Olympus battery in the BlueNook charger.

You may want to contact BlueNook to see if the OM-D third party charger can also charge the E-PL5 cell.

Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Olympus BLN-1, BCN-1 and Olympus OM-D EM-5: Electronics

I've had good experiences with their customer service.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It is too bad that they do not use the same battery.

I think Harry does have a good point on traveling, though - I would probably want to have two chargers going at the same time overnight. For day-to-day use, it is a whole lot more convenient to be able to share a spare battery and just have one charger in the outlet.

I am hoping the rumored, upcoming, lower-end OM-D, is essentially an E-P5 using the same battery.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    This is the first I have heard of a new lower-end OM-D, so I will keep my eye out or that.

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    According to the Olympus Rep I spoke to a couple of months ago, the E-M3 is supposed to be a replacement for the E-P3 when it goes out of production at the end of this year.
  7. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    A used omd is about 850, I would just et that. Wait, I have.

The omd has a much nicer screen, built in evf, 5 axis Ibis, etc. more than makes up in price.
  8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Yeah but the OP HAS a E-M5. He's looking for a second body.

How about a UNIPAL charger. Charges almost anything, including your cameras phone and tablet.

9. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Right, I mean another em5 is the best backup to an em5. No controls to relearn, second body with another prime always ready to go.