E-PL5 "AP2" extension cable?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by datadump, Jan 12, 2013.

1. datadump

datadump New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2012
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Why would you need an extension for the Accessory Port 2? The AP2 port is only for accessories like the mic adapter (if you want an extension for that, you use a 3.5mm stereo plug extension) and EVF (which I'm sure you want to keep mounted on the camera), or the Bluetooth device (which is wireless and obviously needs no extension).

The only thing you could make use of an extension cord for is the flash hotshoe itself. There are hundreds of those out there, and in fact you can use the exact same Canon TTL cable you listed in that eBay link. Canon cables use the same pin pattern as Four-Thirds, and can be used between any 4/3 or m4/3 camera and 4/3 flash. Or you could also buy the Olympus TTL cable, but you'll probably get a better one from Canon or a better price on one made for Canon.

3. datadump

datadump New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2012
    hmm what is the point of the AP2 port in the small popup flash that comes with the EPL5?

i noticed it only has one pin on the hotshoe, and an AP2 (probably for popup position and what else? TTL info.. etc?)

i was thinking of using the tiny popup flash with a cable, so that i can bounce it up -- even if its a bit under powered. I can also use the FL-300R but thats significantly bigger.

just a thought. nothing serious.

4. datadump

datadump New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2012
    holy smokes.. thats wickeD. i didnt know. i just slapped on my canon one and it just works GREAT with my FL300R.