1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL5 and Panasonic Lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cederic, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Heya,

I'm brand new to system cameras (unless you include a Zenit E that I haven't used for 20 years) and m43 looks like my best option.

Since Panasonic haven't announced the GX2 yet (so I can see if it's better suited to me than the E-PL5) I want the E-PL5.

However: I'm brand agnostic. I want the camera and lenses that fit best with my needs. So I want the Panasonic compact zoom (the 14-42 X lens) and the fantastic looking new f2.8 35-100 zoom (and a couple of others once my bank balance has recovered).

The pancake zoom makes the camera fit in my pocket; I take a lot of street photography and something discreet that I can just carry around when generally out and about is ideal. Being a zoom means I still have some flexibility.

Although the two identified zooms have no Olympus equivalents (due to physical size, or lens speed), one reason for going Panasonic on the lenses is to future proof them against getting a future Panasonic body with no IBIS.

So the main query: m43 has a reputation for blisteringly fast autofocus. Will the PL5 focus as quickly with a Panny lens as it will with an Olympus one? As it's the street photography that counts, the real comparison is between the pancake zoom and the kit lens that comes with the camera.

I appreciate that this may be a question nobody is in a position to answer. If the deviation is "too small to notice" then that's actually good enough; I just don't want to add a third of a second to the autofocus time as my approach to street means I'd lose many shots. (The autofocus speed of my compact is one driver to upgrade).

Anyway, thanks for the multiple interesting and insightful discussions I've read before registering, and for posting excellent photographs that confirm the quality of the m43 cameras (and the E-PL5 in particular).

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'm guessing (yeah you know it) that you will not be able to detect any difference in autofocus speed between the Lumix 14-42X kit zoom and the current mZuiko 14-42R kit zoom on an e-pL5.

3. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I just got my E-PL5 and have a Panasonic 14-42X lens. It works perfectly on my E-PL5 (every bit as well as it did on my last Panasonic body). Autofocus is rocket fast on the E-PL5. I am now considering selling the 14-42X lens only because I bought the Olympus 9-18mm and have fallen hard for the wide angle. My tourist pack will probably consist of the 9-18, a fast prime, and a spare battery.

Many have reported problems with the 14-42X, but mine has been perfect. I have gotten blurry shots with the 45-175X but they are rare and I have not been able to rule out "operator error".

Lee

4. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    This is something I've been wondering about as well. I'm also new to system cameras (and photography in general, to be honest), and I got my hands on a E-PL5. :D

I've heard that not all Panasonic lenses work well on Olympus cameras, however. The Panasonic 25mm f1.4, which many praise as a superb lens, apparently makes a loud rattlesnake-like noise on Olympus cameras? Some users simply ignore it, but I think I would feel uneasy about it as there's a possibility that the lens could eventually become damaged due to miscalibration of the servos causing excessive wear?

I believe one of the really nice Panasonic pancake primes also has some banding (noise) issue with the newer Olympus cameras when using higher ISO settings? A real shame for me, as I would like to have one for night photography.

I haven't looked into this much yet, as I'm pretty happy with the kit lens for now, but it's definitely something that needs looking into, imo.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Give me a bit more time & I'll report back on how my Leica 25mm works....

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The PL25 is pretty quiet on my E-M5. It was noisy on my E-P3 - rattlesnaked a lot. I know some people report more rattlesnake on their E-M5 than I experience... could be a settings thing, but I suspect the PL25 will rattle less on the newer bodies like the E-PL5 and E-PM2. It will be interesting to read user reports here.

The 20/1.7 can band on the E-M5 at high ISO due to some kind of interference from the 5-axis IBIS. I do not think this would be an issue with the E-PL5 or E-PM2, since they are using the older IBIS.

On the banding when mounted on the E-M5, I have only noticed this once, and that was when I pushed the file hard in post processing. It definitely does not keep me from using the lens.

7. In an idle moment the other day I worked out that over 80% of the images I have shot with my Olympus E-M5 were while using Panasonic lenses, and about 50% of the images that I have shot with my Panasonic GH1 were while using Olympus lenses. The Panasonic Leica 25mm and the Olympus M Zuiko 9-18mm are the main culprits for those numbers. Amongst other camera and lens combinations, I think that there is a small issue with the Panasonic 20mm on the E-M5 (susceptible to banding at ISO 3200 and above when shadows are pushed) and a more significant issue with the Panasonic 7-14mm on the E-M5 (occasional psychedelic purpleness).

8. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Thanks guys, that's good news all round :)

I'd like the PL25 for low light indoor photography, but that's on the "next year" list. One thing I need to do first is try some composition to see which focal length works best for the indoor pics I want to take - partner dancing, from far enough away to avoid disturbing the dancers, but close enough that other dancers don't get in the way.

9. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    The only downside of using Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies is that chromatic aberration is not corrected.

That's about it.

I use the Panasonic Leica DG 25 all the time with my E-M5. It's my 1-lens kit. I don't really notice the aperture blade chatter. It's more likely to occurs if you're switching from dark to bright scenes while on P or S modes.