1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL5 and E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by aikidoka, Sep 14, 2012.

1. aikidoka

aikidoka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    Montreal
    • Like Like x 1
  2. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Quite a big price difference between them:

"E-PL5 and E-PM2 mirrorless cameras. Both will use the Olympus E-M5 sensor with TruePic VI image engine and touchscreen, and are reported to be priced at €399 ($520) for the E-PM2 with a 14-42mm kit lens (in silver, below the break) and €599 ($780) for the E-PL5 with the same lens".

I wonder if there will be any more differences between them than there is with the E-PM1 and E-PL3 (tilting screen, mode dial, extra button). E-PM2 looks good as I am not that bothered about a mode dial, but once you have used a tilting screen it's hard to go back to a fixed one (although perhaps using an add on (titling) vf2/3 makes a tilting screen less useful?)

3. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  4. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    I find the tilt screen on my E-PL3 useful indoors, but poor outdoors in the sun. I think I'd prefer a tilt EVF

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Can you buy either of these cameras without a lens (body only)? I already have the 14-42 II.

6. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    In the UK all the current Pens are sold body only as well as with the 14-42ii, not sure about other countries though.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    We won't know until they're released, but historically, body-only hasn't been an option for the E-PL and E-PM series. After a while, you may see some refurbished bodies, but you will have to wait.

What you can do of course is to sell your kit lens, though that can sometimes be difficult. Hopefully one (or both) of these cameras will be released as a kit with the 17mm pancake lens, which is both an alternative, and generally easier to sell :smile:

DH

8. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Ouch these are truly fugly. The e-pm1 was IMO a beautiful piece of design - minimally gorgeous. These look just yuck. They'd better really really perform.

• Like Like x 2
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    The same sensor as the E-M5, so I would expect them too. I can't wait to get one to replace my E-PM1.