E-PL3's don't float

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kiwi Paul, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    ....and are not water proof so don't try it, once you let them go for a swim they eventually just come up with a message saying "One moment" and it's a long moment, I'm still waiting!!
    I sent it off to Oly to see if they could speed up the moment but they said it was terminal and since E-PL3's are not meant to swim it's not covered under the warranty. My home insurance was more understanding though and seems they will pay up for the cameras lack of aquatic ability.
    Fortunately the lens was able to be resuscitated and has made a full recovery!

I'm not sure what I'll do though, may just take the money and go back to a one camera man (G3), so if anyone is looking for a spare charger, 2 batteries, a flash and excellent VF-3 watch the for sale section soon!

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hmmmm.... this story sounds a little fishy :)biggrin:)!

Sorry to hear about the soaking, but glad that your insurance covered. :2thumbs:
  3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Did you forget you're no longer using an E-5? :biggrin:
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    There's a moral in this story somewhere, I must see if the G3 floats :eek:

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    If it floats, its a witch, in which case you must drown it. If it doesn't float, well you found out about that already. Either way, not good around water!

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    It all came flooding back!
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  8. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    It's only a witch if it weighs the same as a duck. But I can't figure out where to put the EVF on a duck.
  9. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    If you still have it you could try the trick of putting in a bag of rice - with the camera lens cover on, of course. It may dry it out unless while it was wet the 'shorting' actually blew something. Might be worth a try.