E-pl3 with e-pl1 lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mellingerm, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Mellingerm

Mellingerm Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011
    Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the Epl3 body only as I can get it for about $500 here in Korea.

Is it possible for me to use my E-pl1 lenses with it and would you recommend it?

I have the 14-42 and 40-150mm both from my e-pl1

Would I still be able to take advantage if the faster auto-focus or do I need to get the new kit lens for that?

Thanks,

Mike

2. jjustind

jjustind New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    If you're set on upgrading to the EPL3, I would recommend using the new kit lens. I too use the EPL1 and the 14-42 MK1, though sharp, isn't exactly the quickest lens you can use.

You can use the mk1, it'll work just fine. But I don't think you'll see advertised AF speed with the epl1 kit lens.

Are you in Seoul? There are a couple shops in Namdaemoon that carry Oly gear, they all have an EPL3 demo unit you can mount your current lenses on to try out. I just picked up my 45mm 1.8 at COEX. Love the little loss leader store Oly keeps in there. ^^

Otherwise, the new electronics store on the 2nd floor of Lotte mart inside of Jamsil station that I know for certain has a few EPL3s you can fiddle with. The store clerks generally don't care if you fiddle with the demo units.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    All the MSC lenses have internal fcusing and with a firmware update are capable of matching the AF speed of the newest R-series lenses on the E-PL3 body.

This would apply to your 40-150mm but not your ED 14-42mm. It would apply to the aspherical 14-42mm MSC used on the E-PL2 and the E-PL1s (sold in Japan).

All your lenses will still focus faster though on the E-PL3. You just won't be able to tap into "the World's Fastest AF" with the original ED 14-42mm.

PS, you really should check out someof the fast primes for your camera, though. ;) 

4. Mellingerm

Mellingerm Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks for the responses!

jjustind-I'm actually down in Daejeon, but could easily get up to Seoul. Do you know what the shops up in Namdaemun are charging for the E-pl3 kit? I was looking on Danawa.com and that is where i saw the 587,000krw without lens, and 702,000krw with the lens. Could I get it cheaper at Namdaemun?

Ned-thanks for the comments. I have upgraded the firmware on my lenses, but yes, it would be nice to have even faster AF with the new lens :)  I'd love to get some prime lenses, but am so used to using a zoom lens, it'd be hard to change over.

Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.