E-pl3 with e-pl1 lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mellingerm, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Mellingerm

Mellingerm Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011

I'm thinking about getting the Epl3 body only as I can get it for about $500 here in Korea.

Is it possible for me to use my E-pl1 lenses with it and would you recommend it?

I have the 14-42 and 40-150mm both from my e-pl1

Would I still be able to take advantage if the faster auto-focus or do I need to get the new kit lens for that?

2. jjustind

jjustind New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    If you're set on upgrading to the EPL3, I would recommend using the new kit lens. I too use the EPL1 and the 14-42 MK1, though sharp, isn't exactly the quickest lens you can use.

You can use the mk1, it'll work just fine. But I don't think you'll see advertised AF speed with the epl1 kit lens.

Are you in Seoul? There are a couple shops in Namdaemoon that carry Oly gear, they all have an EPL3 demo unit you can mount your current lenses on to try out. I just picked up my 45mm 1.8 at COEX. Love the little loss leader store Oly keeps in there. ^^

Otherwise, the new electronics store on the 2nd floor of Lotte mart inside of Jamsil station that I know for certain has a few EPL3s you can fiddle with. The store clerks generally don't care if you fiddle with the demo units.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    All the MSC lenses have internal fcusing and with a firmware update are capable of matching the AF speed of the newest R-series lenses on the E-PL3 body.

This would apply to your 40-150mm but not your ED 14-42mm. It would apply to the aspherical 14-42mm MSC used on the E-PL2 and the E-PL1s (sold in Japan).

All your lenses will still focus faster though on the E-PL3. You just won't be able to tap into "the World's Fastest AF" with the original ED 14-42mm.

PS, you really should check out someof the fast primes for your camera, though. ;)
  4. Mellingerm

Mellingerm Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks for the responses!

jjustind-I'm actually down in Daejeon, but could easily get up to Seoul. Do you know what the shops up in Namdaemun are charging for the E-pl3 kit? I was looking on Danawa.com and that is where i saw the 587,000krw without lens, and 702,000krw with the lens. Could I get it cheaper at Namdaemun?

Ned-thanks for the comments. I have upgraded the firmware on my lenses, but yes, it would be nice to have even faster AF with the new lens :) I'd love to get some prime lenses, but am so used to using a zoom lens, it'd be hard to change over.