E-PL3 vs my trusty E-PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stuntman, Sep 5, 2011.

1. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    I had a great opportunity to demo an EP3 for a week to see if I wanted to upgrade. Here's what I found and this is my own opinion and not worth a grain of salt.

What I liked about the EP3:
    1 Heft (My E-PL2 is lighter)

2 Quality of build (It feels like it's made of metal)

What I didn't like:

1 Cost difference

2 Touch screen ( I personally hate this! I can't stand touching and getting finger smear all over the thing to look through! And , Who NEEDS this? I would rather have more manual buttons for presets.)

3 Extra size and weight combined to make it almost over the line to decide whether to just go DSLR.

I found zero difference in image quality and as far as focusing speed, only a computer could verify the difference.

Me, I am sticking with my E-PL2 until it dies or Olympus comes out with something radically better. I don't jump ship because of "It's the latest thing", especially when it costs a lot more and it isn't any better. As a matter of fact, I don't like the added clutter with a touch screen. This is a Camera not a Phone.... I like buttons!

Just my 2 cents

Cheers
    Ed

• Like Like x 1
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  3. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Join the club, I don't like touch screens either, but many people feel it is a must have and love it. I think right now Olympus is trying to get people in a fever pitch by constantly upgrading different models so rapidly etc etc, but that is why I personally chose the E-PL2. It is camera that I searched long and hard for and that can satisfy me for years to come without ever feeling the need for another.

• Like Like x 3
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    On the touch screen, I wouldn't call it a must have, but it's great for fast action shooting, especially if you want the subject off-center. If you don't do that, then you have no need. For me, it's gotten me shots that I couldn't have gotten with any other camera, except maybe a PDAF DSLR with the right focus points.

Also, in terms of the touch screen, Oly put nothing into the touch screen that the removed from a button. The touch screen is for focus and click-to-shoot. Also, moving to review in playback. No buttons were removed and, in fact, the EP3 has more controls than the EPL2, not fewer.

If it seems I'm defending the touch screen, I guess I am, but it's also easy to shut it off. But if you don't need or want it, I could see not wanting to pay for it.

5. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I just turn the touch screen off. As far as faster ... It's very fast with the 12mm f2.0, much more so than the E-PL2.

6. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    1. Understandable
    2. The oled screen does not smear. I use my touchscreen primarily to touch focus...something that would take awhile to scroll on my e-pl1's d-pad.
    3. It barely fits in the same half-case as my e-pl1, which was designed for the e-pl2. You may be perceiving the heft with the metal.

Your rationalization is reasonable but i wouldn't go as far as comparing the e-p3 to a camera phone. Touch is a convenient and modern feature, not its primary function.

And i agree, if you have an e-pl2 there is very little reason to justify an upgrade unless you value quick auto-focusing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    I came from epl2 as well. I happen to like the touchscreen feature. I also find the af noticeably faster. Its the first thing I noticed.

8. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    +1.

with the touch screen, one do not need to play checkers
    or move the head/ body if the box position is slightly off.

anyway, i am keeping both the epl2 and ep3 (because of
    the 12mm :thumbup:).

9. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    The touch screen (AF + shutter), nice body and buttons are what I find most attractive of the EP3....other than that, I believe the image quality is the same.

10. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    The touch screen would have been handy if you could setup few virtual buttons (assigned to whatever you liked) on the right side. Not sure if there's something there already.

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I have recently switched from an E-PL2 to an E-P3. I didn't think I would be using any touchscreen function initially, but I now find this option very handy, especially when I am trying to take pictures of my kid running around. With multiple area autofocus, the camera sometimes don't know what subject to focus on, whereas center-focus & recompose technique doesn't work with the running child. Coupled with the kit lens or the new 12mm f2.0 prime lens, autofocus speed of the E-P3 is noticably faster than that of the E-PL2, so point-and-shoot with the touchscreen at a running kid is a breeze...

Having said that, I do switch off the touchscreen when I am shooting still subjects to prevent accidental tummy-touch shots (those who have used an E-P3 would know what I am talking about)...

12. stuntman

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED

No I didn't get to play with that one as the dealer didn't have it in stock yet.
    Cheers Ed

13. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Your comments about size/weight seem odd to me. According to the Olympus web site:

E-PL2 weight (including battery): 362 grams
    E-P3 weight (including battery): 369 grams

E-PL2 size: (LxWxH) = 115 x 73 x 42 = 21,500 mm^3
    E-P3 size: (LxWxH) = 122 x 69 x 34 = 17,600 mm^3

Granted I've not actually handled either camera, but it sure seems like the E-P3 is significantly thinner (albeit a bit longer) and essentially the same weight. I seriously doubt you can feel 7 grams.

14. stuntman

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    As far as the heft I was refering to, I mean it is a LOT more solid because of the metal vs mostly plastic body. It has a lot more quality of build!

As far as the weight I was refering to, I am holding both in my hands as we speak and you can definately feel the difference! I am an extremely active person. Downhill mountaing biking, cross country biking etc.. I use the Tamarac 6X sling pack for it's speed of access to shoot. While biking this week, I could feel a more noticable tug on the strap. A little bit of weight adds a lot of inertia when you are doing 40 MPH downhill through the woods!

And to clear things up about the touch screen, I use a camera a lot in very dirty and sweaty places like biking, hiking, ETC.. After using the touch screen a few times, between the dust, sweat and oil from my skin, I couldn't see the screen.

I am not BASHING the EP3! I don't see it as a big enough jump for me to justify the extra $. That's all!

Cheers
    Ed