1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-PL3 Tripod Socket - Screw Size & Thread?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by savvy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    S.Yorkshire, UK
    Les
    I asked this on another forum but haven't got an answer yet, so :-

Is the tripod socket on the e-pl3 a standard 1/4" - 20?

I've RTFM (full PDF version) and it's not in there, searched here, and also Googled without luck.

The reason I ask, is that in my Google searches various products, e.g. Joby Gorillapod, that say they are compatible with e-pl3, come with a "standard" 1/4"-20, but also a 3/8" adapter, and I was not sure if the adapter is needed for the e-pl3, hence the socket is 3/8"?

Real reason for asking is that I'm considering tapping one of my hiking poles to act as a sort of monopod for when we are out walking - I'll have it with me anyway, so why not get it to multi-task, and should be better than purely handheld - so, need to know which bolt size to buy.

2. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Europe
    I have an E-PL3 and a Joby Gorillapod, and they fit together without an adapter.

3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    S.Yorkshire, UK
    Les
    Thanks for confirming :smile:

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    All tripod sockets on regular cameras (i.e. not large format) and smaller lights are all 1/4-20 thread.

A few have had issue with the E-M5 with the socket not being very deep, or maybe the thread wasn't cut all the way through.

5. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    S.Yorkshire, UK
    Les
    Thanks, I'll see if I can find a stud bolt of that size to epoxy on to one of my hiking poles, and see how it goes.

6. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I believe you could also get a small quick-release ball head for a monopod and screw mount that on a hiking pole. Advantage there would be to get flexibility to level the camera independently from the pole and ability to quickly release camera from pole if you want to grab a shot where the pole would be an encumbrance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.