1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL3 Tripod Socket - Screw Size & Thread?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by savvy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    I asked this on another forum but haven't got an answer yet, so :-

Is the tripod socket on the e-pl3 a standard 1/4" - 20?

I've RTFM (full PDF version) and it's not in there, searched here, and also Googled without luck.

The reason I ask, is that in my Google searches various products, e.g. Joby Gorillapod, that say they are compatible with e-pl3, come with a "standard" 1/4"-20, but also a 3/8" adapter, and I was not sure if the adapter is needed for the e-pl3, hence the socket is 3/8"?

Real reason for asking is that I'm considering tapping one of my hiking poles to act as a sort of monopod for when we are out walking - I'll have it with me anyway, so why not get it to multi-task, and should be better than purely handheld - so, need to know which bolt size to buy.

2. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Europe
    I have an E-PL3 and a Joby Gorillapod, and they fit together without an adapter.

3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Thanks for confirming :smile:

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    All tripod sockets on regular cameras (i.e. not large format) and smaller lights are all 1/4-20 thread.

A few have had issue with the E-M5 with the socket not being very deep, or maybe the thread wasn't cut all the way through.

5. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Thanks, I'll see if I can find a stud bolt of that size to epoxy on to one of my hiking poles, and see how it goes.

6. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I believe you could also get a small quick-release ball head for a monopod and screw mount that on a hiking pole. Advantage there would be to get flexibility to level the camera independently from the pole and ability to quickly release camera from pole if you want to grab a shot where the pole would be an encumbrance.