E-PL3 or E-PL5 or Panasonic??

I want to upgrade my wife from here P&S Panasonic that she’s been using for several years. Her photography has progressed to the point that she’s benefit from a bigger/better sensor and the ability to shoot RAW.

I’m looking at either an E-PL3 or E-PL5. Which way should I go? Or, are there any small Panasonic cameras that would be good contenders?

I’m trying to keep the cost down, somewhere around $200 with a kit lens.

Thanks,

Yaniv

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I would look for an E-M5 if possible. I had an E-PL5 and never jelled with it. I believe it also had some shutter shock issues. While I prefer the my E-M1 to my E-M5, the latter is still a great camera with a great sensor. And the IBIS is better than the E-PL5.

Good luck,

--Ken

Thanks Ken. I have an EM10, but my wife wants something a little smaller and easier to carry around. I also think fewer controls may be easier for her...she’s not very techy.

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
E-PL5 has the better sensor. If you're after something compact, the E-PM2 can be had for a song too (same 16MP sensor). Not too many controls but it still has many of the same benefits of the E-PL5 in a slightly smaller package (ditto the Panasonic GM1 if you can track one down - its a little smaller still).
Another option would be something like an used/refurbed LX100 or Sony RX100 - easily pocketable or 'pursable'.

Last edited:

DrNuy

Mu-43 Regular
I want to upgrade my wife from here P&S Panasonic that she’s been using for several years. Her photography has progressed to the point that she’s benefit from a bigger/better sensor and the ability to shoot RAW.

I’m looking at either an E-PL3 or E-PL5. Which way should I go? Or, are there any small Panasonic cameras that would be good contenders?

I’m trying to keep the cost down, somewhere around $200 with a kit lens.

Thanks,

Yaniv
Have a look at a GM5 (or successor) : small, smart, and better image quality than my E-M5(1).

Faunagraphy

New to Mu-43
The E-PL3 was my first 'real' camera that got me obsessed with photography. I have fond memories of it, but I won't recommend it to anyone today. If you want a small, inexpensive camera, try the E-P5 (not E-PL). I have the E-M5 and it was significantly superior to the Pen Lite 3 in every respect - IBIS, image quality, whatnot. It's the same size as other PENs.

I have no personal experience with the GX-85, but it seems like a great camera. A used one won't be much more expensive than an E-P5, and it comes with a viewfinder as well. Surely the image quality is superior to the EP5, which is much older.

If your wife isn't a 'serious' photographer, she might also enjoy the E-PL8 - those cameras come in beautiful colors and in Japan, are marketed especially to women.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the E-P5, but I think it’ll be out of my price range. I used to shoot with the E-P3 and loved it. I may go that route. Coming from a very small P&S, it’ll be a dramatic increase in image quality no matter which camera I get her.

The one thing the E-P3 doesn’t have is the tilting screen. I would like to find a camera with either a tilting, or fully articulated, screen.

Faunagraphy

New to Mu-43
Understandable. Right now, MPB has an E-PL8 and EP-5 for $200-ish, and an E-PL3 for under $100. Olympus

BTW if she wants a small, compact lens, I'd recommend the Pany 12-32 over the Oly 14-42 EZ.

relic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the E-P5, but I think it’ll be out of my price range. I used to shoot with the E-P3 and loved it. I may go that route. Coming from a very small P&S, it’ll be a dramatic increase in image quality no matter which camera I get her.

The one thing the E-P3 doesn’t have is the tilting screen. I would like to find a camera with either a tilting, or fully articulated, screen.
My 2 cents'worth: I would go with the E-PM2 in preference to the E-P3. Newer sensor, smaller, and, if that is an advantage, fewer buttons. I love mine. But, frankly, since you are considering an E-PL5, then why not an E-PL7-- that would be my choice-- it is superb in my view, and has a tilting screen, and is easily worth $224.
Used Olympus E PM2 Compact System Camera - mpb.com
Used Olympus Pen E-PL7

Johnny The Greek

Mu-43 Veteran

I traded in my E-P5 for my Panasonic GX85 and it's a vastly superior camera with all the bells and whistles. I'm not sure why they couldn't have included the tilt EVF that the GX7 has, but I don't mind it too much. You can find used models in very good condition on Ebay for less than 400 including shipping.

Personally if price is the issue, buy a first generation E-M10. Even in 2019 it's a great camera.

I traded in my E-P5 for my Panasonic GX85 and it's a vastly superior camera with all the bells and whistles. I'm not sure why they couldn't have included the tilt EVF that the GX7 has, but I don't mind it too much. You can find used models in very good condition on Ebay for less than 400 including shipping.

Personally if price is the issue, buy a first generation E-M10. Even in 2019 it's a great camera.

Thanks. I use an E-M10 and love it. She wanted something a little smaller.

I ended up buying and E-PL5, with a 14-42 lens for just over $200.

Top Bottom