1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL3 or E-PL2 for Manual Focus

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by brutto, Oct 1, 2012.

1. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I had to sell up my M43 (E-P3) kit to buy a tetherable DSLR for a project but that has left me with some Leica lenses and a nice Metabones adapter that I'd like to put to use while I wait for the E-PL5 or E-P? to come along.

A good used E-PL3 will cost me about £130 and a new E-PL3 £200 - both body only. Since I don't care about autofocus or frame rate, it seems to me that the 4:3 screen will be better for manual focus and therefore the E-PL2 will suit me better. The only plus I see to the E-PL3 is the tilting screen.

I guess E-PM1 would be another option at about £130 used.

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance for your advice.

2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Either of those will do. And either of those will fit an Olympus VF-2. Manual focusing with an evf kinda works really nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  3. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    I believe the processor on the E-PL3 is faster as well. It was certainly much faster than my E-PL1. Lack of grip was an issue though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

I'd go for the E-PL3, they are both very similar but processor could be different, not too sure though.

I think you will find the tilting screen will come in handy at some point!

Plus bare in mind the E-PM1 doesn't feel as nice as the E-PL3 :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Against all your best advice, I went for an E-PL2. The form and better screen swung it for me. And, it saved me some money and I always like that :smile:

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hang on a minute.
    If you're not going to be using it's superior autofocus the e-pL2 has some disadvantages to the earlier e-pL1.
    I have both and for manual focus lenses the e-pL1 wins with its slightly nicer colours and ISO100 jpegs, also the magnify button seems easier to hit on that model.
    e-pM1 is too fiddly for that job, compared to the e-pL1.

My e-pL2 is mostly used for indoor fast autofocus and bounced flash.
    My properly nice manual focus lenses go on the e-pL1, it just does a better manual-focus job easier than all other Pen models.

7. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi Ulfric. Oops, I paid for the E-PL2 a couple of hours ago so I'm going to have to make the best of it now :smile: It'll be with me Wednesday morning.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I wouldn't worry. The E-PL2's controls more than make up for the slight difference in JPEG output in my book.

However, if you can swing the price, I think you'll find the VF-2 makes a big difference when focusing manually. It certainly did for me.

DH

9. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Thought I should update this thread. I didn't gel with the E-PL2 at all, something about it's form and plasticky build didn't work for me. Shoulda listened to you guys in the first place. It's gone to a new home and I flirted with a Nikon V1 for a while (so nearly but not quite good) and I'm going to try again with an E-PM1 or E-PL3.

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Wait for a cheap used e-P2 then : unless you use magnify a lot, cos it doesn't have a dedicated button for that.
    Definitely not plasticky.

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    For manual focus, I believe the 460,000 dots display of the E-PL3 would work much better than the 230,000 dots display of the E-P2.

BTW, since you are using the camera primarily for MF legacy lenses, have you considered a NEX-5N, which is selling at a very attractive price, now that the 5R and 6 are out? I has one of the best APS-C sized sensor, and focus peaking...

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If the e-pL3 has the same screen as this here e-pM1, then I can say (for my eyes) the old e-P2 screen is twice as GOOD for manual focus.
    It is simply the SIZE, rather than the resolution.
    Of course the VF-2 is best but sometimes it's in the wrong trousers Gromit.