1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-PL3 or E-PL2 for Manual Focus

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by brutto, Oct 1, 2012.

1. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 17, 2011
    I had to sell up my M43 (E-P3) kit to buy a tetherable DSLR for a project but that has left me with some Leica lenses and a nice Metabones adapter that I'd like to put to use while I wait for the E-PL5 or E-P? to come along.

A good used E-PL3 will cost me about £130 and a new E-PL3 £200 - both body only. Since I don't care about autofocus or frame rate, it seems to me that the 4:3 screen will be better for manual focus and therefore the E-PL2 will suit me better. The only plus I see to the E-PL3 is the tilting screen.

I guess E-PM1 would be another option at about £130 used.

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance for your advice.

2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Either of those will do. And either of those will fit an Olympus VF-2. Manual focusing with an evf kinda works really nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  3. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 7, 2011
    Illawarra, NSW, Australia
    Alan
    I believe the processor on the E-PL3 is faster as well. It was certainly much faster than my E-PL1. Lack of grip was an issue though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

I'd go for the E-PL3, they are both very similar but processor could be different, not too sure though.

I think you will find the tilting screen will come in handy at some point!

Plus bare in mind the E-PM1 doesn't feel as nice as the E-PL3 :) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. brutto

Feb 17, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Against all your best advice, I went for an E-PL2. The form and better screen swung it for me. And, it saved me some money and I always like that :smile:

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hang on a minute.
    If you're not going to be using it's superior autofocus the e-pL2 has some disadvantages to the earlier e-pL1.
    I have both and for manual focus lenses the e-pL1 wins with its slightly nicer colours and ISO100 jpegs, also the magnify button seems easier to hit on that model.
    e-pM1 is too fiddly for that job, compared to the e-pL1.

My e-pL2 is mostly used for indoor fast autofocus and bounced flash.
    My properly nice manual focus lenses go on the e-pL1, it just does a better manual-focus job easier than all other Pen models.

7. brutto

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi Ulfric. Oops, I paid for the E-PL2 a couple of hours ago so I'm going to have to make the best of it now :smile: It'll be with me Wednesday morning.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I wouldn't worry. The E-PL2's controls more than make up for the slight difference in JPEG output in my book.

However, if you can swing the price, I think you'll find the VF-2 makes a big difference when focusing manually. It certainly did for me.

DH

9. brutto

Feb 17, 2011
    Thought I should update this thread. I didn't gel with the E-PL2 at all, something about it's form and plasticky build didn't work for me. Shoulda listened to you guys in the first place. It's gone to a new home and I flirted with a Nikon V1 for a while (so nearly but not quite good) and I'm going to try again with an E-PM1 or E-PL3.

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Wait for a cheap used e-P2 then : unless you use magnify a lot, cos it doesn't have a dedicated button for that.
    Definitely not plasticky.

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    For manual focus, I believe the 460,000 dots display of the E-PL3 would work much better than the 230,000 dots display of the E-P2.

BTW, since you are using the camera primarily for MF legacy lenses, have you considered a NEX-5N, which is selling at a very attractive price, now that the 5R and 6 are out? I has one of the best APS-C sized sensor, and focus peaking...

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If the e-pL3 has the same screen as this here e-pM1, then I can say (for my eyes) the old e-P2 screen is twice as GOOD for manual focus.
    It is simply the SIZE, rather than the resolution.
    Of course the VF-2 is best but sometimes it's in the wrong trousers Gromit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.