E-PL3 or E-P3 LCD Dimensions? Need Screen protector for E-PL5.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OhWellOK, Jan 2, 2013.

1. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Happy New Year! Could anyone with either of these cameras tell me the actual dimensions of rear LCD on E-PL3 or E-P3? I want to get a screen protector (preferably MicroSolutions) for my new E-PL5 and want to see if these earlier PENs match the new model. Not many options available for E-PL5 at the moment. The OM-D LCD is a different size (I'll measure later).

Off the top of my head I think the E-PL5 LCD is 79mm x 46mm or so.

I emailed MicroSolutions and they were going to look into past model size compatibility after the New Year and whether or not there will be an E-PL5 version-(but I'm impatient and OCD about screen protection :rolleyes: 

Many thanks!

2. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I bought some cheap plastic screen protector for my iphone. And just cut it a bit. Fits perfect for my ep3!

5. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks-E-PL5 has a different tilt LCD than E-PM2 so not sure if they are the same size? Anyone have actual LxW measurements of E-P3/E-PL3/E-PM2 LCD panel? so's I can confirm size before I order anything :dash2::smile:

Thanks-yeah I tried this with a leftover protector from an old Android phone-came out terrible, even though I was really careful and used a new razor blade to make cuts there is a bit of a rough lip, so protector doesn't adhere around edges.

6. Mike_B

Mike_B Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    Mike
    I measured my E-P3 screen at 77mm X 52mm.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks!
    E-PL5 screen measures 79mm x 46mm
    I ended taking a chance on these SOPI Guard protectors from eBay. $4.99 for a 3pk. I'll report back how they work out.

8. mcshort

mcshort Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2012
    czech republic
    i use screen protector for iphone, only cut and fit (almost 1usd 5pcs) :) 

9. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Follow Up-E-PL5 Screen Protector SOPI GUARD Review

So here's a follow up quick review on those SOPI guard E-PL5 screen protectors if any E-PL5 owners are interested.

Also to let you know I heard back from MicroSolutions and this is what they told me:
    "Finally confirmed with our headquarters that we have no plans as of now to make a film for Olympus E-PL5, and none of our existing films fit the LCD of this camera."

I guess these SOPI Guards just went up a notch in quality :smile:

PROS
    • Fit's E-PL5 LCD nicely-good job on sizing
    • Cheap $4.99 for 3pk and microfiber cloth. FAST shipping!
    • Very simple to get a bubble free application - application similar to MicroSolutions Pro Guard
    • Adhesion seems so good so far
    • Doesn't effect touch screen functioning
    • Good clarity-no haze or "orange peel" etc
    • Does what it's supposed to do; protects screen from scratches and helps my OCD :) 

CONS
    • No Oleophobic coating - fingerprint smudges rather quickly
    • Doesn't feel tactilely as nice as MicroSolutions Proguard (on my OM-D) or BodyGuardz Pure (iPhone)
    • Scratches fairly easily
    For $4.99 shipped, by no means the worst screen protector I've ever used on a device and it does what it's supposed to, however, not quite as nice as the very excellent but much pricier (and will never become available for E-PL5) MicroSolutions product.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Got a general purpose Zagg for mine and simply cut it down :smile:

11. Allan Ostling

Allan Ostling Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Thanks for the tip, I have placed my order too. It's irritating that we cannot get the MicroSolutions protector for our E-PL5. I wonder if there is a larger screen for a different camera that we can trip down?

12. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Some have had luck trimming down other protectors-I however, did not. It may depend on the material. I took a leftover protector from my old HTC phone, and trimmed it to size using a new razor blade and straightedge. The problem I had was that the trimmed edge didn't have a perfectly flat profile-had like a burr or something that kept it raised off of screen just enough so it wouldn't adhere on that side. Was easier just to buy the $4.99 product from eBay for me-which is still holding up great BTW.

13. Extract0r

Extract0r Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.