E-PL3 or E-P3 LCD Dimensions? Need Screen protector for E-PL5.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OhWellOK, Jan 2, 2013.

1. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Happy New Year! Could anyone with either of these cameras tell me the actual dimensions of rear LCD on E-PL3 or E-P3? I want to get a screen protector (preferably MicroSolutions) for my new E-PL5 and want to see if these earlier PENs match the new model. Not many options available for E-PL5 at the moment. The OM-D LCD is a different size (I'll measure later).

Off the top of my head I think the E-PL5 LCD is 79mm x 46mm or so.

I emailed MicroSolutions and they were going to look into past model size compatibility after the New Year and whether or not there will be an E-PL5 version-(but I'm impatient and OCD about screen protection :rolleyes:

Many thanks!
  2. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    I bought some cheap plastic screen protector for my iphone. And just cut it a bit. Fits perfect for my ep3!
  5. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks-E-PL5 has a different tilt LCD than E-PM2 so not sure if they are the same size? Anyone have actual LxW measurements of E-P3/E-PL3/E-PM2 LCD panel? so's I can confirm size before I order anything :dash2::smile:

Thanks-yeah I tried this with a leftover protector from an old Android phone-came out terrible, even though I was really careful and used a new razor blade to make cuts there is a bit of a rough lip, so protector doesn't adhere around edges.

6. Mike_B

Mike_B Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    I measured my E-P3 screen at 77mm X 52mm.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    E-PL5 screen measures 79mm x 46mm
    I ended taking a chance on these SOPI Guard protectors from eBay. $4.99 for a 3pk. I'll report back how they work out.

8. mcshort

mcshort Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2012
    czech republic
    i use screen protector for iphone, only cut and fit (almost 1usd 5pcs) :)
  9. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Follow Up-E-PL5 Screen Protector SOPI GUARD Review

So here's a follow up quick review on those SOPI guard E-PL5 screen protectors if any E-PL5 owners are interested.

Also to let you know I heard back from MicroSolutions and this is what they told me:
    "Finally confirmed with our headquarters that we have no plans as of now to make a film for Olympus E-PL5, and none of our existing films fit the LCD of this camera."

I guess these SOPI Guards just went up a notch in quality :smile:

• Fit's E-PL5 LCD nicely-good job on sizing
    • Cheap $4.99 for 3pk and microfiber cloth. FAST shipping!
    • Very simple to get a bubble free application - application similar to MicroSolutions Pro Guard
    • Adhesion seems so good so far
    • Doesn't effect touch screen functioning
    • Good clarity-no haze or "orange peel" etc
    • Does what it's supposed to do; protects screen from scratches and helps my OCD :)

• No Oleophobic coating - fingerprint smudges rather quickly
    • Doesn't feel tactilely as nice as MicroSolutions Proguard (on my OM-D) or BodyGuardz Pure (iPhone)
    • Scratches fairly easily
    For $4.99 shipped, by no means the worst screen protector I've ever used on a device and it does what it's supposed to, however, not quite as nice as the very excellent but much pricier (and will never become available for E-PL5) MicroSolutions product.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Got a general purpose Zagg for mine and simply cut it down :smile:
  11. Allan Ostling

Allan Ostling Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Thanks for the tip, I have placed my order too. It's irritating that we cannot get the MicroSolutions protector for our E-PL5. I wonder if there is a larger screen for a different camera that we can trip down?
  12. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Some have had luck trimming down other protectors-I however, did not. It may depend on the material. I took a leftover protector from my old HTC phone, and trimmed it to size using a new razor blade and straightedge. The problem I had was that the trimmed edge didn't have a perfectly flat profile-had like a burr or something that kept it raised off of screen just enough so it wouldn't adhere on that side. Was easier just to buy the $4.99 product from eBay for me-which is still holding up great BTW.

13. Extract0r

Extract0r Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2012