E-pl3 lcd screen cracking in different places!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nwbie1, Jan 19, 2012.

1. nwbie1

nwbie1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2010
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Hi everyone,

The tilting lcd screen cover of my e-pl3 is developing cracks from several places...mainly around the area where the two attaching screws are located at the bottom of the screen. Is it possible that the factory overtightened the screws? It started with one hairline crack a couple of weeks after I bought it and then 3 new cracks has been spotted. I still have a few months on my warranty but would they cover such thing? If the lcd cover is cheap enough, I'k rather buy it and put it myself since there are only 4 external screws holding it in place. I don't want to send it and have no camera for a few weeks. Anyone having the same problem? Thanks in advance. Alan

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yikes, that sucks! When I had the E-PL3 I was a little suspect of the build quality of the tilt LCD, but now hearing your problem my suspicions were right!

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Not necessarily - I've had one since they first showed up last sommer and no such problems. And haven't heard of this from anyone else. I'd say it's a bad copy, maybe over tightened, and send it back if it looks like its getting worse.

-Ray

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sorry to hear about the cracks, Alan. I hope they cover this under warranty for you.

My wife's E-PL3 still looks new, but she really babies the camera. Not sure how it would do as my 100% camera and the rougher duty.

5. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Are you using anything on the screen to protect it?
    On my E-PL1 I used an acmaxx protector and was safe everywhere, but the E-PL3 looks quite robust and I didn't think of doing anything. It's brand new...

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Stress cracking around fasteners in plastic parts is never a good thing. At best they will stop spreading once the excess stress has releieved itself. More typically they'll continue to propigate until you completely lose the structural integrity of the connection. Watch the warrenty date carefully and get it repaired before your time runs out.

7. nwbie1

nwbie1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2010
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Sending the camera back to Olympus...

I'm sending the camera back to Olympus for them to check it out. I actually asked the tech over the phone if I can just buy the plastic cover (I'm assuming that it is just a window cover and not the lcd itself) so that I can just replace it myself. He said that they don't sell that part and needs to be send back in for repair.

BTW, I saw the first crack on the lcd screen two weeks after I received the camera and added a screen protector but I don't see the screen protector adding stress to the cracks. I hope they don't void my warranty for this.

Thanks to all of you that responded and will update back when I hear from them.

We will see. Thanks again guys!

Alan

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I hope this is an isolated incidence, but I guess I will start using my PL3 with extra care from now on...

Good luck!

9. nwbie1

nwbie1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2010
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Kyle, I hope Ray is right that it could be an isolated incident...me too,good take care of my E-pl3 but these cracks are progressively getting larger...I would think that since they are around the screw area that it is the overtighthening that is causing it...

10. nwbie1

nwbie1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2010
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Alf, I'm using a acmaxx lcd armor? and i placed it on the lcd after i noticed the first crack...i also bought it brand new from JR Music...

11. nwbie1

nwbie1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2010
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Major Magee, i agree...i was tempted to loosen the screws a little just to relieve the pressure in those areas but didn't have the small phillips screwdriver...i still have 6 mons warranty left. The person that i spoke to said that after they fixed it, they give 6 mons warranty on the job they did. I'm just afraid if this problem is material related (bad batches) that i might get another bad one...oh boy :(

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm not usually big on sticking screen protectors on my screens, but the epl3 screen is unusually vulnerable because there are no ridges or raised parts on the back of the camera, so if you lay the camera on its back, the entire screen is on the table or desk or whatever. I got a very minor scratch on the screen within a day or two of getting the camera and I realized the screen was really more exposed than on any of my other cameras. So I stuck some Zagg invisible shield film on it (cut out of a sheet made for an ipad). It won't protect the screen from any kind of impact (not that most other protectors would), but if something is going to get a scratch in it, it will be the film rather than the screen itself. I ride this camera pretty hard and haven't had any issues with the screen at all. This type of screen feels a little bit more flimsy than the fully articulating screens on a single large hinge, but between my EPL3 and the Nex I had for quite a while last year, I never went easy on them and have never had any trouble with either.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Thanks Ray for your input. I ordered an epl3-sized acmaxx as the one I have on my e-pl1 saved its screen when it fell from the bus in Ethiopia..

14. nwbie1

nwbie1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2010
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Just an update...Olympus denied to warranty the spider cracks around the screws on my lcd screen and ruled that the cracks where caused by an "impact damage". I got hanged up twice by their supervisor for insisting that that wasn't true...i kept my cool...did not get an apology except that they will look at it again and will get back at me. I explained to them that they might have the wrong camera labeled because my camera has never been dropped or damaged. It seems like they already has a pre-conceived story made up in their minds and they believe in that without listening to the camera owner. I ask for an explanation but the supervisor just kept on saying that their ruling will not change and that is it. In short, I just wasted my money and time just for them to hang up on me twice and to tell me that my warranty is voided. I've been buying Olympus camera products even before the digital age and I've never once used their warranty. After all these years, when I needed them to come thru for me(this part can't be purchased direct to them), they failed to listen and help a loyal "Olympian". I believe, it really depends on who you talk to but nobody is above the supervisor and I'm just wasting more time. I just want everyone to know that even if you are honest, they will still find a way to avoid giving you your warranty. I will deal with this myself. Thanks for listening to my rant. Alan

15. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    This is the reason I don't like articulated, swivel, or tilting screens. Very easy to apply excess pressure on the hinges.

16. nwbie1

nwbie1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2010
    San Francisco, Ca.
    articulating screen...

it is possible that mine was an exception during assembly because I never heard of anybody complaining about it...but I understand what you mean. It was also a concern to me when I purchased the E-pl3 but in my case, I was more concern about the hinges getting loose and eventually getting wobbly....same thing i guess.

Just be careful people....when you send something back for warranty because there is always that risk that they will blame you for it even if it is not true.

I will update you if I find a camera repair shop that can purchase the part for me and see what can I do to fix this problem myself....thanks to all..

17. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    I think you should take it higher up. Bypass the idiotic supervisor. Complain and make it an issue. No need to take their ruling and the 'misrepresentation' of the company on one idiot.

18. vmaniqui

vmaniqui New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2012
    you know what will work best. report them to better business bureau. sorry to hear about it and good luck. keep us posted. trust me - they will do something once you report them to BBB....

19. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I agree - don't give up. Maybe write to them as well and also contact them on Facebook and Twitter (social media messages being public they are more likely to act). BBB is a good idea too.

If a product develops a fault while still under warranty then they should fix it at their cost - simple as that.

As for articulated screens - I was also worried about their durability, but (touch wood) so far the one on my Nex has been fine and I use it all the time (with care of course). I don't have an E-PL3 (yet) so cannot comment on that screen, but in my experience the one on my Nex has been fine.

Incidentally, when I bought the camera I thought it was a nice feature I may use very occasionally but I now use it all the time - mostly to compose and shoot shots at waist level (much more sturdy/steady than holding camera at arms length in front of you) and also great for taking pictures from low down/ground level and high up of course (eg to get above crowds). It's just a shame about the 30% premium (£90) on the E-PL3 vs the E-PM1 in order to get the benefit of a tilting screen.

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is (fortunately) wrong. There are plenty of people on above the supervisor, and he will be reprimanded severely for that kind of "customer service" in the department he's in. You will probably have to go through a different phone number though to get somebody else...

Just like KS11 said....