E-PL3 joins my Lumix kit... nice, nice!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DHart, Sep 30, 2011.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I started my m4/3 journey by selecting a GF1, 20 and 14-45 lenses to try as my personal/travel camera kit a couple of years ago. Later added a GH2, a G3, and a GF3. And along the way I added a good number of native and legacy glass.

Olympus m4/3 cameras never appealed to me until the E-PL3 came along.

I received my E-PL3 earlier this week and though I haven't done much shooting with it, I've come to really like the camera already. The tilt screen along with improved AF is what made a Pen appealing to me at long last. So far I'm feeling that this is a camera I will keep and use a lot. I really like it!

Today, while I was photographing a client on my studio property, a Zuiko 45/1.8 lens arrived in a big brown truck. I only use 5DMkII gear for my professional work, but I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the 45/1.8 for some time and I decided to grab a few snaps with the E-PL3 and 45/1.8 during my session with the 5DMkII.

I regret that I paid relatively little time and attention to the Pen during my photo session because I didn't realize that I had ISO 800 selected. In any event, I am pretty pleased with the performance of this camera and lens for portrait work. I have a feeling I will be trying it out a bit more during my pro sessions next week. The E-PL3 and 45/1.8 is a sweet set up!

Here are a couple of images from this afternoon...

E-PL3 45/1.8, ISO 800 f/1.8 RAW capture
    P9300195.

E-PL3 45/1.8, ISO 800 f/4 RAW capture
    P9300133.

• Like Like x 6
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I really really like the second image ... it screams "Professional". The background competes to much with the foreground for my tastes in the first image.

G

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I like the first one. I am attending a wedding tomorrow (as a guest) and will try to snap some good shots. I plan to bring E-PL2+20mm and E-PM1+Oly 45mm. It's gonna be outdoors so I'll bring ND filters too. The whole kit fits into my small tamrac bag.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    WOW.....stunning shots. Please don't tell me that these are sooc or I will start to get some serious GAS.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just picked up an E-PL2 also starting with a predominantly Panasonic kit. It definitely outputs differently despite using the same 12mp. Strangely I find my Nikon to m43 adapter works much better on Olympus bodies than on my Panasonic bodies.

6. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm really happy to finally be doing some shooting with Oly gear. The 12 and the 45 really are sweet lenses. And the E-PL3 is a sweet camera indeed.

Luke... oh gosh no. I shoot RAW which means there's always a little tweaking to do. I really enjoy taking a RAW image and massaging it into my vision. The above images didn't take much post work... a nudge of some curves here and there and a few little tweaks. I never met an OOC image that couldn't benefit at least a little from a poke or a prod here or there. And I love the power of the digital darkroom! LightRoom 3.5 did all the post work except there were some blemishes I worked on in PS.

Here's another with the E-PL3 and 45/1.8. This guy is a champion javelin thrower.

E-PL3 45mm f/1.8 lens shot ISO 800 at f/6.3.
    Keller9300084.

• Like Like x 1
  7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Great pics - the eye twinkle (white-spot?) thing is slightly distracting though. Makes the pictures look a bit CGI and less natural IMHO.

8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Thanks for the comments, phigmov. The catchlight in the eyes is entirely natural, caused by a shiny object in the direction he was looking toward. This last image is not intended to be a natural candid portrait at all.

I do commercial photography, in addition to portraiture, and often I work toward the commercial illustration side rather than PJ candid portrait. The intended look here is as a commercial photo illustration, as might accompany an article in a sports magazine - it's an editorial shot of sorts.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    just stunning. That 45 does some wonderful stuff. As does your PP.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I like the first two shots exceptionally. The third, though, throws me off a bit. I think maybe it's mixed color due to mixed lighting?

11. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Can we get a picture of your M43 setup :)

12. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    DDB... Will do.

13. ggweci

ggweci New to Mu-43

Great shots DHart.

What was the lighting setup? Did you use OCF, or just a reflector? If OCF, how did you trigger?

Either way, very impressive.

14. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    ggweci... thanks for your comments. I use available light with a reflector. I don't use flash because I so rarely like the look. I work with available light (or professional continuous light sources) and manipulate it.

15. ggweci

ggweci New to Mu-43

Great use of the reflector. I have a Westcott 5-in-1 collapsable one, but haven't used it much. I should experiment more with that. Do you have an assistant or use a stand for yours?

16. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I use quite a variety of different reflectors, held up by a variety of different means. In some circumstances I will use a stand, in some I ask someone around for an assist, use an assistant, there are lots of different solutions. A while back I had two other pro photographers visiting my studio during a photo shoot, so I used the opportunity to stick a reflector in each of their hands, in addition to my main reflector. :rofl: I love reflectors.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ggweci

ggweci New to Mu-43

18. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    For today's session, I decided to let my 5DMkII sit this one out and I shot with only my E-PL3 and 45/1.8 lens. I missed out on the looks I can get with the full frame sensor and 200mm f/2.8 lens, but aside from that, I was able to capture some good stuff with the small kit.

The VF-2 I bought from Art arrived today, so I put it to work on the E-PL3. A few samples:

Gimbel050336.

Gimbel050247.