E-PL3 in stock at Olympus US store, all colors

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by krugorg, Aug 16, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It looks as though the only discount code that will work presently, is OAFS2011 for free shipping.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    They still have E;P1 with the 14-42 for $389. With firmware update 1.4, the AF is much better. I still think that's a deal for a P&S upgrader.

3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    That is a good deal. My original plan was to pickup a E-PL3 for my wife and an E-P3 for myself. She ended up liking the E-P3 (stupid touch screen) and I picked up a $349 (now cheaper) E-P2 body from Cameta.

4. Novaron

Novaron Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2010
    Falls Church VA
    Just ordered the EPL-3

The $200.00 less and slightly faster focus and tiltable (if lower resolution) screen were factors in going with this and not the EP-3.

5. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Only if the e-pl3 had touch screen...WTF! Olympus loves to have it customers beg for current generation features.

Another thing i do not understand is, why are most of the pictures on the internet of e-pm1 and e-pl3 with 14-42mm zoom? It doesnt make sense. They should be showing how compact it is with 17mm pancake. Better yet compare the size to other systems to show its versatility.

No offense. I personally like the Pansonic's strategy. I feel respected as a customer because I am given all of the features I can possibly get. BTW I only own the e-pl1, only future can tell what my next camera will be. Maybe olympus will come with minor update in 6 months with touchscreen for all its models.

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Olympus really should have put touchscreens on all their cameras. It's a killer feature, especially if they're targeting P&S upgraders (which they are, especially with the E-PM1).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    As much as I am drooling over the pens, I think I will wait for a price drop and in the meantime enjoy my G3 when it arrives.

8. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I was thinking the E-PM1 would be good for my wife (and allow me to steal back the E-P3), but I do wonder if she will miss the touchscreen. In my favor, she thinks the P3 is too big and bulky.

I've been noodling lately on picking up a GF2 for her instead. I am seeing them with the 14mm for $519. About the same size as the Oly Mini, but with a touchscreen (though not as good as the E-P3). I just wonder if she would miss the art filters and IBIS.

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I just posted on my silver E-P3 thread.. but wanted to chime in that the GF2 would be fantastic for your wife (and be a good way to steal back your E-P3) :rofl:

The touchscreen isn't as good as the E-P3 as you say, but it's "good enough". I wouldn't use it to touch-shutter, as it requires pressure and it's way too easy to get camera movement that way. But for setting the focus point and taking the shot the standard way, it's fine. I have both the E-P3 and GF2, so if you have questions just holler.

• Like Like x 1
  10. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    Expensive. For that kind of money I'd choose the G3 in a heart beat. Touch screen, viewfinder, better video, OIS for both video and stills (ibis only works for stills on Olympus cameras), articulated screen. I wonder what was in the Oly guys mind when they prices this camera. Same for the P3.

11. Novaron

Novaron Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2010
    Falls Church VA
    I have a G1 and EPL-1. If I could have gotten the G3 I would have ordered that, but given the Panasonic OIS only works with some, not all, its MU43 lenses and the Olympus has in-body image stabilization, which works with my manual focus Voightlander 25/0.95, my Contax G 90/2.8 with adapter, and other legacy lenses, and I am looking primarily for still camera, I believe the EPL-3 will better suit my purposes as well as not tie me to overpriced proprietary batteries.

12. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    You probably never heard about generic batteries. They sell for $5 on eBay. Besides, how many extra batteries one needs? One? Maybe two? A gh1, gf1, g1, g2 battery is $39. A P2, P1 battery is$20. That is a huge $19 for an extra battery. A month after I got my gh2 in Dec, I purchased a$7 replacement of eBay. Works like a champ.

13. Novaron

Novaron Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2010
    Falls Church VA
    I have heard about generic batteries, but also that Panasonic had chips in its batteries to limit the ability of cheap generics. BTW, amazon has the Panasonic battery at $39. BUt IN Body IS is important for me as is the fact that who knows when the G3 will finally be available.

14. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    If you're in the U.S. there are lots of places that have the G3 NOW. Unique Photo in NJ and Kenmore Camera in Kenmore, WA for example. There are others as well. It's getting easier to find.

15. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I ended up ordering the E-PL3 in red. I was tempted by the GF2 option, but think my wife will like the tilt screen and know she would miss the art filters from the E-P3. Also, we can share batteries, chargers and an external flash. Of course, sharing the 20/1.7 hasn't worked well so far. =)

16. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    Just a quick question back to the OP. Is the buyolympus.com store a sound retailer? I've ordered the EP3 from Adorama but they are still back ordered. Buyolympus has them in stock.

I'm just curious of any feedback from those that have ordered through them.

Thanks.

17. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Buyolympus is very fast to ship. I bought my E-P3 and the 12mm from them. The latter I returned for a full refund (30 days). They've been fine so far...

18. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have had good experience with the official Olympus direct store also. I do wonder how the big retailers, such as B&H and Adorama, feel that the Olympus store always has product in stock 3-5 business days before they do. I imagine more than a few preorders have been canceled.

BTW, there is a free ground shipping offer somewhere on the Oly store site, but they will charge you state tax.

19. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I bought the epl3 from the Olympus store. No problems. Had it the next day.

-Ray