1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL3 for $249 at Cameta

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by drd1135, Jan 12, 2013.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Like Like x 2
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Panasonic must have better inventory and production control than Olympus - tons of refurb & new older Olympus bodies everywhere but very few Panasonic refurb/new older bodies out there...

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have always thought Panasonic bodies had better quality control. I've had a number of both and the Panasonic bodies always struck me as better assembled. That said, $249 is an outstanding price for an E-PL3.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have bought several of the Olympus refurbs and they are great. In fact I have not bought a "new" body of any brand, ever! I have either bought a good used one or a refurb. I have held several of the Panasonic bodies and don't think they are any better built than the Olympus ones. It may be how each company handles returned and demos, some companies refurb them and other companies part them out.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Thing is...
    There are lots of new -> old Olympus bodies (E-P1/E-P2/E-PL1 all new) at CAMETA which appears to me like over-production by Olympus (or less than expected sales).

6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Other than their own website, I believe that Cameta is one of the primary dealers that handles their refurbs, so the concentration of equipment there may appear a bit like over-production. Just a thought.

--Ken

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    There are new Olympus (older models) at Cameta too that are not refurbished. Where are alll the new (older model) Panasonics at?

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I honestly think that Panasonic simply doesn't care about the US market as much as Olympus does. That is why people here wait months after a new release to get their hands on bodies like the gh2 or gh3...they are being sent elsewhere. Olympus on the other hand floods our market, and obviously doesn't have a problem selling old inventory at refurbished prices...if they weren't making money at those prices we wouldn't be able to buy them that low (except used). They rode that 12mp sensor for what, 4 years? The rest of the cameras are just other molded and manufactured parts that probably run under $100/unit to make. I for one don't mind waiting until the back end to pick up a refurb from them at severely discounted prices!

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you do a little looking you can find refurbished Panasonic cameras. I found some on Amazon, Overstock.com and Best Buy. They are fewer and harder to find than Olympus cameras.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You just might be right here....

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Exactly why I wondered if Panasonic has better inventory & production control than Olympus does. :smile:

12. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    While I think that Paul's previous post probably best describes the differences in marketing inthe US between the two companies, B&H has been known to move older Panasonic bodies and kits at very competitive prices, like the G3 bodies and kits they have been selling for $249 and $299 respectively these past few months. And given the amount of time (especially during the holiday season) that B&H has been offering them at these prices, I would say that there were quite a number of them to sell.

Nonetheless, I am still waiting on a $500 OMD. :rolleyes:

--Ken