1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

e-pl3 focusing box size

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kahren, Dec 13, 2011.

1. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    i can't seem to figure out how to change the focusing box size on the epl-3?
    i tried the same way as the e-pl1 but it doesn't seem to work the same way.
    anyone?

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Click the magnifying glass button, then click the info button and then use the scroll wheel to change the size of the focus box.

3. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    i did that, but then when you hit OK, or just turn on the camera after it has been off, it defaults back to the big box?

4. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Yep. There may be a way to register a custom user setting so that the default setting is the small focus box, but I haven't figured it out yet.

5. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Yes. There is. Mine is permanently set to a small single point focus box, called a "home" (apart from on auto-which I hardly use, and even then its probably possible) I can't remember exactly how to do it right now and this is sent from my phone. I'll take a look after work and let you know later if someone else has not done it by then.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think the E-PL3 focus box is smaller than the old E-P1 to E-PL2 default focus box, anyways. Notice how many more focus grids there are on the new cameras now? The new focus box seems to be about 10x, which is what I was keeping my Magnify on anyways with the E-PL2. ;)

The old focus box was 7x, although you had the option of changing it down to 14x with the magnifier. Of course, if you reset to its home position it went back to the big 7x box. Ugh. I prefer a smaller 10x default box which I can quickly change on the grid pattern, over finer control down to 14x and having to use the slow magnify tool to move it around. I actually found 14x sometimes too small in fact, lol. 10x seems to be a faster compromise between 7x (too much area, and inaccurate) and 14x (too little area, sometimes ending up on a no-contrast spot).

7. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi - i think this may be what you are looking for - if not ignore!

I took a look at my E-PL3. To set the focus box to a small single box, go to the menu list A. in the cogs settings (you will have needed to enable these menu items in the first place) There you have the option of setting how you AF works - either multi point or single point (you can choose which small area - mine is in the centre, so I focus lock, then recompose) In the same menu you can also set a "home" point (the same focusing area layout applies) and then set one of the programmable buttons (Fn or the other one..) to go to that home focusing point. I don't do that myself, as I have used it for other functions.

You can still override the single point focusing from the SCP or the left direction button on the dial. Personally I prefer it this way around as most of the time I use a single focusing point box and recompose. I hope that helps and is clear.

8. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    thanks all for the replies, i thought there was a permanent way to set the focus box, i guess there isn't :(

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Strange, I had assumed the E-P3 and the E-PL3 pretty much had the same firmware/behavior.

My focus box stays the size I set it, even if I turn it off and then back on.

10. greenlife

greenlife Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 24, 2011
    Finland
    Mine stays too the same (I use value 10) in E-PL3 after adjusting it with the magnifying glass button. And I just took some test images focusing, and I really like the results with the E-PL3, even handheld in low light, long shutter times (1/10), high ISO and the kit lens (at 14mm). The image stabilizer seems to work very well also.