E-PL3 brown banding on LCD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by geek, Dec 19, 2011.

1. geek

geek New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2011
    I noticed brown banding on my LCD today in a froyo shop. When I took it outside, the brown banding disappeared. When I went back inside, it appeared again. I concluded it had to do something with the lighting. I changed the white balance as well and saw no improvement.

After doing some googling, I've read about these bands appearing under fluorescent lighting only with certain shutter speeds. It has something to do with the cycle in the bulb. Apparently you have to shoot in 1/60th or slower at intervals/multiples of 1/60th to catch the light in the correct cycle.

Has anyone else experienced these bands?
  2. James Pilcher

James Pilcher Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Colorful Colorado
    multi-color banding

The other day I pointed my E-PL3 at a white screen that was illuminated by a digital overhead projector. The image in my VF-2 and on the rear LCD was a series of very fat red-green-blue lines, or multi-color banding. I could not make out the actual image on the screen at all. It's an interesting phenomenon, but nothing that gives me pause.

Shoot and be happy! :smile:
  3. parsek

parsek New to Mu-43

Dec 26, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Your LCD is fine

It is light source dependent and has to do with interferance created by the difference or ratio in updating speed between your LCD and the light. Much like you will see when video filming off a TV. Don't worry about it. Your LCD is fine. I can provoke this by poiting my E-PL3 at flourescent light sources.