1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PL3 AEL/AFL Confusion

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by savvy, Oct 22, 2012.

1. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Hi,

I've read the Manual, and searched and read the various posts on here about setting up AEL/AFL and assigning it to a button.

But, I'm still confused, and not achieving what I want.

I've set up AEL/AFL on S/C/M all in Mode 1, and assigned AEL/AFL to the red Rec button. AEL/AFL Memo is On.

Essentially, I want to focus on a relatively near subject in the centre of the frame, and lock the Exposure & Focus. Then I want to take shots from left to right and stitch them all together to make a Panorama still having the subject in sharp focus.

However, pressing the AEL/AFL Rec Button, only seems to lock the Exposure, not the Focus, I can see & hear it refocussing when I press the Shutter button, and on some tests, the shots that shouldn't be in sharp focus are.

The only way I've found to do it, so far, is to move to Manual Focus, and then press AEL/AFL to lock the exposure.

I thought that you should be able to lock both with that button; isn't that what AEL/AFL is, Exposure Lock & Focus Lock?

I told you I was confused !! LOL :rofl:

Any help/guidance would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    You can select either AEL or AFL but not both together, essentially it's meant so you can say lock focus on a part of the scene and then recompose and the camera will set the exposure for the new composition but retain the focus lock, or lock the exposure on a part of the scene then recompose and lock the focus on the new composition.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Ah, OK, thanks Paul.

So, essentially, my using Manual Focus and using AEL/AFL to lock the Exposure IS the way to achieve what I'm after.

Cheers.

Les.

4. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    In those circumstances I would usually use M mode to set the exposure, and put the camera in manual focus as well so that won't change.

• Like Like x 1
  5. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Hi Savvy, you can assign MF/AF swap to another (not Rec) button - think I've got it assigned to a zoom buttom. Then half-press AF where you want to focus, switch to MF and hit the AEL lock wherever you want to set exposure.

I don't know if AEL also locks the WB, this can vary from shot to shot without locking - not critical in raw but it makes life easier.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Les, To accomplish what you've described you actually do need to use both manual focus and manual exposure. As Paul says, the AEL/AFL button is an either / or proposition; one or the other, but not both... actually, it will do both, but will reset focus and exposure for each new exposure as you pan the camera.

You can get a focus assist from the camera by first using AF to focus on your desired spot, then switching the camera (or lens, if you have a switch on the lens) to MF. Once set and switched to MF, don't adjust the focus any further.

You will still need to set shutter speed and aperture manually (for the first exposure, then leave it alone), but at least you can use the camera to meter the scene before switching to manual.

Happy shooting!

• Like Like x 1
  7. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Thanks all.

Yes, all that makes sense now :smile:

Cheers for all the help.

Les.

8. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    One other tip if you're shooting pano (particularly with the 20mm) is to shoot portrait, you get more picture height and stitching programs have an easier time as there's less distortion on your horizon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    In this situation I prefer going manual mode, manual focus, and use the AFL button to lock the focus; I then sweep the scene and take the average exposure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    I hadn't considered portrait - nice one, thanks.

11. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Hi Mike, I understand most of that apart from the "average exposure".

Are you saying that in Manual mode, before you take all the pano shots, you sweep across the scene at various points take readings of the metering and then take the average to set in your manual mode?