1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL3 + 14-150mm good deal? and help!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Berloo, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Berloo

Berloo New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2012
    Hey guys, pretty new to photography and I recently picked up a E-PL3 with a Oly 14-150mm with a B+W F-Pro filter for $470USD.

It was quite an impulsive buy when I saw it but hopefully I didn't over pay!

Is there a general rule on what shutter speed to use for the m43 oly system? Having some difficulty shooting in low light with this lens, which is expected.. (Sometimes makes me regret getting this lens combo!)

2. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    That is a great deal. I paid over twice what you did (new) and i'll bet you can easily get at least $300 for either the body or the lens here on the forum.

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    $470 seems like a good price for this camera + lens combo. The Oly 14-150mm is one of my favorite multi-purpose m4/3 lens, and is good as a starting lens because of its range. Having said, the lens could be a little difficult to use in low light situations, as you have already found out due to the small aperture, particularly at the tele-end. In general, shutter speed should be 1/focal length, but since m4/3 sensor has a 2x crop factor, the rule of thumb actually becomes 1/(FL x 2). (Others, please correct me if I am wrong on this) On the other hand, the E-PL3 has IBIS (although not too effective), so you can probably remove that "x 2" from your equation with steadier hands. Since the E-PL3 can produce relatively clean photos up to ISO1600 (IMHO), you can somewhat compensate the small aperture with higher ISO. However, I would generally use this lens for outdoor purposes under daylight.

If you want a lens that compliments what you already have, you can look into a Lumix 20mm f/1.7 or the Oly 45/1.8. Both give you excellent low-light performance for reasonable price.

4. Berloo

Berloo New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2012
    @ dennisk: My was second hand, but can't complain, I wanted the 14-150mm for the range and as a "travel lens"! Any major complains so far with your set up?

@ hkpzee: It truly is a multi-purpose lens! But OW! So at the longest range of 150mm I need to shoot it at 1/300 for a handheld shot? The IBIS does seem a little wonky to me, at one point it got me thinking if it was spoilt! haha

Thanks for the recommendation on the other lenses, I guess I really need to find out the majority of my shooting range to see how often I shoot at 20mm or 45mm before my purchase?

5. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    No issues at all for me with that combo. It's also my travel lens (for outdoor day shooting) and I switch to a faster lens when it starts to get dark. I did have an issue with E-PL3 + PL25 with the aperture blade being very very noisy. (look up rattlesnake noise in this forum)

6. Berloo

Berloo New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2012
    I too seem like I have a click / rattle snake noise.. Is it from the lens or the body?

7. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    It's from the lens.

8. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Great price, was this a private sale?

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I think you can go 1/150 at 150 mm and do fine, but anything slower than that would be iffy...

I started out with the E-PL1 + 14-150mm combo, and later added the 20/1.7. I was pretty happy with this 2-lens setup at least until Oly came out with the 12/2.0 and Panasonic with the PL25. There was no going back after that... With the 2-lens combo, I must say I used the 20/1.7 a lot more than the 14-150. The 14-150 ended up being a special purpose when I needed that extra reach...

10. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Europe
    I have the EPL-3 with 2 kit lenses (14-42 and 40-150) (and waiting for the 20mm to arrive :biggrin: ). I just had a quick look through my recent photos and at 150, I have been able to get decent pictures handheld at 1/160.

11. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Oh come on! you know you got a good deal, your just rubbing it in :p. You pretty much got the lens for free.

Its a good lens too! Probably my favorite next to my Canon 50. True, Its not fast, but it has a nice bokeh at the long end. Hell, i've use it for portraits with good results, even indoors (High ISO of course)

Congrats on the new purchase.

12. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    As the E-PL3 has the flip out lcd screen, you can 'shoot from the hip' - holding the camera against your waist with the screen flipped out - which will, with a bit of practice make quite a steady stance and allow slower shutter speeds. Certainly steadier than holding it in front of you with your arms extended anyway. Of course that's standing up, but indoors if you are sitting down you can use a table, a sofa/ chair arm etc. You could also try a monopod.

13. Berloo

Berloo New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback and advice everyone!

Just went out today, and as long I am outdoors in the day the camera and lens is such a joy to use!

I have been watching videos and reviews on the 20mm and the 45mm.. Both lenses are sexy as hell! Now all I need is to know which range suits my style the most and save up!

Didn't think about shooting using my waist as support! Will surely give that technique a try, sounds very interesting and makes lots of sense! Hmm!