1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

e-pl2 vs e-pl3 focus speed

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Jan 8, 2012.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I've read a lot about the e-p3 being faster but how much faster is it compared to the e-pl2? Also, with the slightly faster AF make a difference using longer focal lengths for shooting sports (motoracing). I know the e-pl3 has more focus points and a new af engine, how does that affect the AF tracking?

2. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    you can compare them here : [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwNaRLOqnoo]Olympus E-PL2 AF speed test with new and old 14-42 kit lens - YouTube[/ame] and here [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do8azZq5kAo]The Phoblographer Shows off the Olympus EP-3's focusing - YouTube[/ame]

*oops it's ep3, I think ep3 and epl3 has the same focus speed

3. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks I did several comparisons at several stores between the two because I can't make up my mind. AFAIK the epl2 and ep2 have the same af system, just the newer lens that makes the epl2 faster at focusing?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    E-PL2 is definitely faster than the E-P2. It's not just the lens. The E-PL2 was a big step up for the PENs, matching the Panasonic AF speeds. Then the E-P3 came around and even bested them.

There's not actually that huge a difference between the E-PL2 and E-P3, but that all depends on what you consider a large difference... There is a difference.

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The AF speed depends on which lens you are using, and for me, the AF speed of the E-PL3 with kit lens is substantially faster than the E-PL2, meaning it allows me to capture more successful shots a moving kid than with the E-PL2. Having said that, the current AF system is still not ideal for motoracing type of speed, as AF tracking is, IMHO, the weakest link in the AF system of any M4/3 camera currently available.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    AF speed of the latest gen of Pens is purposely faster all around. Oly added a dual processor to the EP3, EPL3, and EPM1, and it's blindingly fast compared to what came before. The AF assist light also helps in low light conditions, so now it's possible to focus where the EPL2 just simply couldn't.

I've had the EP1, EPL2, EP3 and EPM1. The EPL2 is marginally faster than the EP1, the EP3 and EPM1 (and EPL3) are a huge step up.

7. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I have found the same thing in comparison to the first models.
    The E P3 and E PM1 are very fast.