1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-PL2 Vs 620e

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Joe777, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    General question to anyone with experience on both.

Please advise how the E620 compares to the E-PL2. Thanks.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Compares in what aspect?

In terms of image quality, the E-PL2 has a sharper sensor slightly lower noise at high ISOs.

But they're different systems. The E-620 is a small DSLR. It doesn't take m4/3 lenses. So unless you already have the E-620, it's an odd comparison to make.

DH

4. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Promit.

Thanks, I have the E-PL2 and the OM-D, but don't know too much about other Olympus digital camera's. Have a chance at buying a E620 cheap. Looks like they are about the same according to DXOMark.

Cheers.

5. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    dhazeghi.

Compares in what aspect?

In terms of image quality, the E-PL2 has a sharper sensor slightly lower noise at high ISOs.

But they're different systems. The E-620 is a small DSLR. It doesn't take m4/3 lenses. So unless you already have the E-620, it's an odd comparison to make.

DH

For me it's not odd question as I know jack about Olympus DSLR camera's and wonder how the image quality compares. Have a chance to buy one real cheap with lens, hardly used. Thanks.

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    All the E-400x, E-500x and E600x Olympus four thirds cameras are cheap nowadays ($150-300) and it's routine to find them with low shutter counts.

Image quality of the E-620 is decent, but a little worse than the E-PL2 due to a stronger anti-aliasing filter. E-620 is a substantially larger and heavier camera than the E-PL2

7. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    They may be the same sensor, but the E-PL2 delivers much finer detail than the E-620 because it has a much weaker AA filter. I have both cameras and while I prefer the handling of the E-620, I'd much rather struggle with the smaller E-PL2 just to see the finer detail. E-620 has one of the strongest AA filters on any Olympus camera.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I certainly wouldn't buy it for the image quality alone. Any m4/3 will offer better. Of course image quality depends on lenses, but if the lens with the E-620 is the kit lens, it won't be much of a step up from the E-PL2 kit lens.

If you specifically want a DSLR for reasons beyond IQ (say handling), it's not a bad little camera if you can get one that AFs reliably (mine did not).

DH

9. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have the E-620 and E-p2 . Each has it's own purpose. To me they are "good enough" most of the time. But there are times when I want "better". But don't we all?

The real down side to the 620, for me, is on my walks. I despise straps of any kind. I hand carry. I can "palm" the p2, for instant accessibility. The 620 is a bit too bulky for comfort, but doable.

But the 620 has a somewhat "reasonable" VF, for bright sun use, and also on board flash that is pretty effective.

10. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Thanks for the help guys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.