E-PL2 Video Questions?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DekHog, Jul 31, 2011.

1. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Guys - I've really never used video before, and was trying to use the video on the E-PL2 today; a few questions....

What's the best focus mode to use?

As there's no focus box, where does the camera decide to focus; is it just centre of frame?

The files are massive! What's the best way to get them down in size a bit on the computer?

Focus when zooming is horrible; hunting all over the place - is it best to avoid zooming if possible?

Any hints or tips most welcome. :smile:

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Which lens do you use? I found E-PL2 continous AF in video is only usable with MSC lens at wide angle with good enough DoF. IBIS doesn't work during video and needs to be turned off or digital IS will ruin your video. Panasonic 14-45mm lens with OIS switch doesn't work well in C-AF so it's unusable. Pana 14-42mm lens doesn't have OIS switch and default at OIS off with no way of enabling it. IMO, E-PL2 is only good for some artistic videos when you need full manual control, MF and tripod. I much prefer my tiny Sony TX7 vor video with optical stabilization and smooth AF with zero rolling shutter.

3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Using the Olympus 14-150mm.... you have to physically turn the IBIS off? I thought it just wasn't used during video recording?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I believe you're right that IS doesn't operate in video mode.

Manual focus.
    Camcorders are the only ones that have any decent Autofocus system for video. Pro video cameras don't even have AF. Manual is always the best way to focus on video (an option which most cheap camcorders don't even have).
    Transcode to DVD format.

Again, use manual focus. You turn the focus ring in time with the zoom ring for a smooth transition. Autofocus will never be able to do that right.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    With body IS on for the pens, they use SW IS. that is, they crop the video a bit and discard the edges to stabilize. Lens based IS will preserve the full FOV

avi file format is an MJEPG based compression, and is great for archiving and encoding later. Save it if you can for your best videos.

Proper video workflow does eat disk space.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

6. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Thanks guys - Ned, manual focus sounds great if I had three hands! Apart from that the fly-by-wire manual focus must be the worst thing ever invented; I detest it, so will probably just stick with the half-press finger on shutter button as I can't see manual focus being any better - it would be a case of zoom....... then focus with same hand as zoom (very slowly thanks to fly-by-wire); rinse and repeat.

I'm not really into video so it's no big deal, but just wondered if I was missing something obvious.