1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PL2 video help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by klrman, Sep 11, 2011.

1. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Going on a trip tomorrow and will take many short video clips with my E-PL2 for a couple of weeks. Since the IBIS does not work for video, any tips to make it decent? or do I have to just keep my hand as steady as possible and not think about anything else?

I noticed when it is a sunny day, the video flickers a lot and when it is overcast, looks just fine. Won't be taking a tripod as on vacation and videoing whatever looks fun for family to see back home.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you're not taking a tripod, then use a monopod. The only video cameras you should be using without some kind of support are shoulder-mounts (ie, like ENG cameras).

3. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Makes sense to me thanks!

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    regarding the flickering video on sunny days.... this is because the camera is selecting too high a shutter speed.

Most film and TV we watch is shot at a 1/50th or 1/60th a second... which is double the standard frame rates of 24 frames per second used in film or 25/30 fps used in video.

the theory is that our brain needs the blur of the relatively slow shutter speed to convey smooth movement.

I don't know the controls you have on the EPL-2 - but on my E-P1 when you shoot video you have no control over shutter speed or ISO - only aperture. On a bright day with a lens wide open it seems then to pick a too high shutter speed and you get a jerky/flickery look to the motion.

Potential solutions are then to either stop the lens down, or if you need wider apertures for DOF then you have to use ND filters to reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor.

The E-PL2 may give you a bit more control

there is a pretty good explanation in one of the videos (number 7 of 15) on this page

Canon DLC: Gallery: EOS HD Video Production Tutorials

K

5. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Hey thanks for all that info, very helpful! I'm off to the airport soon and since it has free wifi I have something to read and test for the 4 hour wait between flights.

I have to read my manual but I think I have control over iso and a few things but not everything as I think video takes whatever I set in P mode if I remember well.

6. dd1

dd1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2011
    According to the manual (pg 58), the E-PL2 allows M use with video (Aperture all settings and shutter between 1/30th and 1/4000th). ISO can be set between 400-1600.