E-pl2 + vf 2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by NickLeon, Jan 31, 2012.

1. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I have taken the plunge and ordered a vf 2 to go with my E-pl2 but I'm a little worried about how secure the viewfinder is on the camera — I managed to lose the hotshoe cover within a week — and have heard mixed reports about this. Any useful tips or experiences please?
  2. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    My VF2 (second hand) has always been on my old PL1 and PL3 and has never fallen off. Had the same worry but no probs as yet.
  3. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    best purchase I ever made for my EPL2! enjoy!!
  4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Mine seems to sit pretty securely on my E-PL1, but I have also heard horror stories of people losing theirs...as a reference point my hotshoe cover does seem looser than the VF-2.
  5. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Some folks suggest using a pair of pliers to squeeze the edges of the hot shoe tighter. Others use electrical tape. I use a small elastic hair band: loop it around the bottom of the lens, then slide the VF thru the other end so the tension pulls it toward the front of the camera. This seems much more non-destructive to me and it's simple and easy to do.

My VF-2 seems to fit snugly on my E-PL2, but it fell off in the bag several times before I tried this trick.
  6. Declan

Declan Mu-43 Regular

Cant wait for my vf2 on epl1
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've gotten VF2's each time I've had Olympus cameras and it fit pretty tightly. It can get pulled off as it does not lock. It normal use it has never been an issue. Where it can be problematic is pulling the camera out of the bag if the VF2 snags on something.

BTW, it is a TERRIFIC EVF. It's well worth the expense.
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If it couldn't get pulled off then it would be on there permanently. Just sayin'... ;)

I have had no problems with mine either. It fits snugly on every PEN I've had. You can adjust the shape of the springs though with a pair of jewelers screwdrivers, on both the hotshoe as well as the VF-2 itself to make them form a steeper curve. This takes a bit of practice though to get it right... put the apex at the wrong spot and you may make it looser. The apex should be somewhere around the last 3rd of the spring, closer to the tip not the base.
  9. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    Many thanks for the prompt and encouraging replies folks - the interest and enthusiasm on this forum never ceases to amaze me!
  10. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    Just to wrap this up, the viewfinder arrived at lunchtime and I am delighted - the fit seems fine, very solid in fact, and I am very impressed with its performance - even after only a couple of minutes on the camera the quality shines through. So highly recommended and IMO worth the cost. As a bonus it also looks better on the camera than I expected - I have the silver E-pl2.
    I hope that this thread will help anyone wavering over this accessory - for myself, cue the Pointer Sisters..... I'm so excited!