1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL2 to Trigger Canon 580EXII

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jemski, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Jemski

Jemski Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Philippines
    Jeremy
    Hi. Sorry for this. I was tasked to do an event coverage tomorrow and some people have lent me a Canon 580EXII flash.

Is it possible for E-PL2 to trigger this? And how?
    (Im googling some suggestions as of this writing). Thanks a lot.

Again apologies for the rush

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Not TTL. But the 580exII has an auto function. It's set with custom function 5 set to "3". Then you can use it as an auto flash and set an aperture that the flash reads with it's own sensor. When you change the camera aperture remember to adjust the flash accordingly. Or just use the flash in manual mode.

Gordon

3. Jemski

Jemski Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Philippines
    Jeremy
    Thanks Gordon.But do I need to set my RC in my PEN to YES?
    It's my first time to delve into flash photography and I am very clueless about this. I was able to show my SCP,are there any settings needed? Again, a huge gratitude for all the help

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    You cant trigger a canon flash off camera using the inbuilt flash. The Canon doesn't have the sensor to do that. And setting RC on the Pen wont help. It will only work of it's hot shoe mounted. You could buy a cheap optical trigger for the Canon flash but many stores don't keep them. Or an off camera cable.

On the camera hotshoe the easiest way will be to just use manual power. If the room is smallish and has white/grey walls or ceiling you could then bounce the flash for a nicer light. A bit of a play at home should get you sorted.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jemski

Jemski Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Philippines
    Jeremy
    After much reading, yeah, even from a Canon SLR, the 580 EX won't be triggered by the pop up flash. Thanks again.