E-PL2 to E-PM2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by robertk328, Mar 21, 2015.

1. robertk328

robertk328 Going on a prime spree!

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    I have an E-M10 and E-PL2. Is there much of a benefit to selling the E-PL2 and getting an E-PM2? Better sensor, smaller size, etc I think makes it worth it? Thoughts from anyone who has had/used both?

2. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I went from E-PL2 to E-PM2 (via E-P3). I thought the E-PM2's newer sensor gave it a noticeable improvement in low-light indoor shooting, as well as higher resolution. It also fixed my pet peeve with E-PL2 out-of-camera image quality, which was a warm color balance that made reds look orangey. The touchscreen is a significant addition, though I don't use it much.

On the other hand, I liked the E-PL2's comfortable grip and built-in flash. The mode dial was something I missed on the E-PM2. And even though the E-PM2 is smaller, there wasn't enough difference with a lens attached to let me use the E-PM2 in any way that I couldn't use the E-PL2.

Check out the image threads for the E-PL2 and E-PM2. To my eye, the E-PM2 has prettier colors, but some people think the E-PL2 colors are more natural. Either way, post-processing can make a big difference.

3. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    I had an E-PL2 and picked up a refurb E-PM2 last summer. After the first day with the PM2, I don't think I used the PL2 for anything other than underwater shots (I had the housing)- the newer sensor is just that much better. The only advantage that the older camera had was the more comfortable form factor as Richard mentioned and the flash- it was on board, and able to be bounced off the ceiling. I sold both for an E-M1- with your M10, you may not need either one.

4. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Thanks folks. I'm thinking as a smaller carry-camera (with the 20/1.7) than even the E-M10 with the same lens. Though I have been reading about the tracking on the E-M1 with the new firmware* so wondering if it's time to hold my breath, sell my d300s body and 2 remaining lenses (traded in 5 lenses for my E-M10 kit and 20mm) and get a second hand E-M1 making my E-M10 the small carry camera ;) 

*my kids play sports so I need the fast focusing

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Even the E-M1 will not track like the D300s for kids sports, especially at dusk. Lighting on town and school fields/gyms is just terrible. I'm sure the new firmware helps, I sold mine back in September, but I would definitely rent first if you can first. It's hard to recommend selling what I know can do what you need for what might do it.

As for the E-PL2 vs E-PM2? I'd probably look at the E-PL5 over the E-PM2. Handling and controls are closer to the E-PL2. Build is a little better. And you get the tilting screen. The E-PM2 seems to be going for about $150-$200 on eBay, the E-PL5 seems to be going for about $50 more.

• Like Like x 1
  6. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Thanks David!

7. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Does the E-M1 track better using legacy 4/3 lenses? Then it could use phase detection for autofocus, which I thought was the key for DSLR tracking.

8. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    I had the epm2 + 20mm/1.7 as a second camera. It was a really nice durable setup and very compact. Creative control was kind of lacking though and I found my photos suffered a bit compared to my gx7. Mostly because I was using te epm2 as a point and shoot. If youre looking for a pocket camera Id suggest something like rx100 instead.

9. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Maybe the lack of a mode dial is what I need to look at. The E-PL5 may be the ticket and isn't much bigger at all based on specs. :) 

10. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    I went from the EPL2 to the EPM2 and did like the IQ increase but missed the pop up flash. I also did not like the way the controls worked with my fat fingers. It was simply not ergonomically good for me. I did find it a good upgrade, however, over the E-PL2.

I ultimately switched to the E-P5 which after owning the E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PM1, and E-PM2, I find to be the perfect PEN camera with all of the issues that I had with the system essentially addressed. Operational Speed, Ergonomics, IQ, flash, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.