E-PL2 to E-PM2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by robertk328, Mar 21, 2015.

1. robertk328

robertk328 Going on a prime spree!

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    I have an E-M10 and E-PL2. Is there much of a benefit to selling the E-PL2 and getting an E-PM2? Better sensor, smaller size, etc I think makes it worth it? Thoughts from anyone who has had/used both?

2. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I went from E-PL2 to E-PM2 (via E-P3). I thought the E-PM2's newer sensor gave it a noticeable improvement in low-light indoor shooting, as well as higher resolution. It also fixed my pet peeve with E-PL2 out-of-camera image quality, which was a warm color balance that made reds look orangey. The touchscreen is a significant addition, though I don't use it much.

On the other hand, I liked the E-PL2's comfortable grip and built-in flash. The mode dial was something I missed on the E-PM2. And even though the E-PM2 is smaller, there wasn't enough difference with a lens attached to let me use the E-PM2 in any way that I couldn't use the E-PL2.

Check out the image threads for the E-PL2 and E-PM2. To my eye, the E-PM2 has prettier colors, but some people think the E-PL2 colors are more natural. Either way, post-processing can make a big difference.

3. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    I had an E-PL2 and picked up a refurb E-PM2 last summer. After the first day with the PM2, I don't think I used the PL2 for anything other than underwater shots (I had the housing)- the newer sensor is just that much better. The only advantage that the older camera had was the more comfortable form factor as Richard mentioned and the flash- it was on board, and able to be bounced off the ceiling. I sold both for an E-M1- with your M10, you may not need either one.

4. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Thanks folks. I'm thinking as a smaller carry-camera (with the 20/1.7) than even the E-M10 with the same lens. Though I have been reading about the tracking on the E-M1 with the new firmware* so wondering if it's time to hold my breath, sell my d300s body and 2 remaining lenses (traded in 5 lenses for my E-M10 kit and 20mm) and get a second hand E-M1 making my E-M10 the small carry camera ;)

*my kids play sports so I need the fast focusing

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Even the E-M1 will not track like the D300s for kids sports, especially at dusk. Lighting on town and school fields/gyms is just terrible. I'm sure the new firmware helps, I sold mine back in September, but I would definitely rent first if you can first. It's hard to recommend selling what I know can do what you need for what might do it.

As for the E-PL2 vs E-PM2? I'd probably look at the E-PL5 over the E-PM2. Handling and controls are closer to the E-PL2. Build is a little better. And you get the tilting screen. The E-PM2 seems to be going for about $150-$200 on eBay, the E-PL5 seems to be going for about $50 more.

• Like Like x 1
  6. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Thanks David!

7. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Does the E-M1 track better using legacy 4/3 lenses? Then it could use phase detection for autofocus, which I thought was the key for DSLR tracking.

8. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    I had the epm2 + 20mm/1.7 as a second camera. It was a really nice durable setup and very compact. Creative control was kind of lacking though and I found my photos suffered a bit compared to my gx7. Mostly because I was using te epm2 as a point and shoot. If youre looking for a pocket camera Id suggest something like rx100 instead.

9. robertk328

Feb 11, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    Robert
    Maybe the lack of a mode dial is what I need to look at. The E-PL5 may be the ticket and isn't much bigger at all based on specs. :)

10. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I went from the EPL2 to the EPM2 and did like the IQ increase but missed the pop up flash. I also did not like the way the controls worked with my fat fingers. It was simply not ergonomically good for me. I did find it a good upgrade, however, over the E-PL2.

I ultimately switched to the E-P5 which after owning the E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PM1, and E-PM2, I find to be the perfect PEN camera with all of the issues that I had with the system essentially addressed. Operational Speed, Ergonomics, IQ, flash, etc.

• Like Like x 1