E-PL2 Settings

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by guzziknight, Nov 18, 2011.

1. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    OK,

So I just got an E-PL2 to go along with my E-P1. So far, I like it, but it's very different.

One thing is bothering me though: when I set up the camera in the menu, sometimes it resets some or all of the settings. Not sure why it's doing that. Could it be because I reset the Myset program and that causing all the settings to reset?

Thanks,

Yaniv

2. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I had this same issue when I first got my e-pl2. While I have not ruled out everything I have learned a few things that helped me a lot.

1) I noted that I would setup everything the way I wanted it and then would turn on the Face detection and my settings would change.
    2) Although I haven't recently proven it I noted that changing batteries would set me back to some default.
    3) I was pressing the wrong keys in MYSET and actually applying setting instead of saving them.
    4) I would occasionally catch myself checking my settings after I switched to auto mode and didn't understand why they changed - I know, no excuse for that one.

I solved these issues by setting three settings in MYSET, one for general defaults which take some time to re-enter so that if changing the battery or some other activity messed with my settings, I could get back to square one. Then, I set one myset for outdoor and one for indoor photos with all of my favorite settings on each one.

Now before every shooting session I use MYSET to configure the base configuration of the camera and then use the Super Control Panel to fine tune anything for the particular situation. The super control panel is my only control panel and I find it superior to any other camera menu I have used.

These changes eliminated much of my frustration as I was about to send my camera for repair until I realized the face detection part of the issue.

I hope this helps!

Dan

3. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Thanks, Dan. That's what I did. I have my primary settings set up in Myset, but I just couldn't figure out why they would reset themselves to default settings. I think it was because I was changing things, and didn't realize I was resetting them.

"3) I was pressing the wrong keys in MYSET and actually applying setting instead of saving them." I think that's what I was doing!

How did you turn off the second control panel? I too prefer the SC panel and I'd like the other one to not show up at all.

I think I have them figured out now. I'll see if they hold and don't keep resetting. As usual, it's usually the "loose nut on the stick," as we helo pilots say, not the equipment, LOL!!

4. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    How did you turn off the second control panel? I too prefer the SC panel and I'd like the other one to not show up at all.

I don't have the camera in front of me but I can tell you there is an option in the menu settings to determine which menus you can switch between when using the info button. It's under button controls I think. THEN you need to remember to save that setting to myset also.

I have gotten into the habit when changing menus of opening the myset setting I want first then going into the menus, making the new change and then saving to myset. One of my least favorite things about the menus is the way myset does not allow for renaming of the settings and IS NOT clear when you are modifiying current settings or using a NEW myset. Muscle memory development was needed to get that down - not so different from that Helo stick!

Dan

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I also bought recently an E-pl2 and have the same issues. Will try some hints you gave.