E-PL2: Plastic Fantastic

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Sep 29, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    As some might know, I had an EP3 when it first came out. Wonderful camera, but I felt that I really needed some better lenses, which I needed the funds for. So, I went back to my two year old EP1, which I still love, but I figured I'd try an EPL2, to get the weaker AA filter, and I'd like to play with the diorama filter, and I missed dramatic tone from the EP3.

Well, I got the EPL2 (in black) today. It's a pretty nice camera! I had held one at Ritz about 6 months ago, and I remember being impressed with the grip, and still am!

Personally, any "Pen Pro" concept couldn't do much better than building on a slightly larger body than the EPL2, with similar styling, and of course a built in EVF (in place of the pop-up flash, again IMO).

The menus are controls are different than the EP1 and also different from the EP3. I think the EP3 is the best, but the EPL2 isn't too bad, after about 30 minutes of playing around and learning what was where. I also like that I can just have the super control panel active on the EPL2. I don't think that was an option on the EP1.

I think I might keep both bodies for a while. It'd be nice to have the 14mm (or maybe kit lens) on one body and the 45mm on the other. But if the EPL2 is a keeper, I might even sell the EP1 for an EPM1. EPM1 + 14 in the pocket with an EPL2 + 45 around the neck. Not sure what else I'd need.

Any rate, the build quality of the EPL2 is clearly cheap. Not even in the same league as the EP1 or 3. In fact, I've had Canon IXUS cameras that inspire more confidence than this plastic fantastic! But at today's used street price, it's easy to own one and not be worried. I paid $300 for the camera + kit lens. I think anything around $200 for this body is a good deal, and makes it viable to have two cameras.

Happy shooting!

p.s. -- can anyone straighten me out on the BL1 and BL5 battery situation? Can a BL1 be used in an EPL2? Can a BL5 be used in an EP1? Can the charger work with each batter type?
  2. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    I am not 100% sure, but I think the BL1 can be used in the E-PL2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I am using BLS1 in my E-PL2 and the charger works too.
    E-PL2 + E-PM1 is a great combo that I am using and plan to keep both cameras for a long time (been using E-PL2 for 8 months now).
    I find E-PL2's build quality pretty good overall except for the back panel and buttons which feel distinctly plasticky. E-PM1 seems more solidly built. I think it has more metal but also less buttons.
  4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I have the super control Panel on my E-P1. It could be on or off. I think where to turn it on or off is in a different spot though.

As far as the build quality, I think it's fine considering its as good as any high end P&S. I agree, not to the level of the E-P1, but the E-P1 felt like a brick to me, and the E-PL2 has a nicer grip. I actually dropped my new E-PL2 on the ground from about 4 feet and it survived just fine, aside from a little dirt smudge.

You did get a good price. I paid 399 for mine. I suppose I could have waited, but I was afraid of stock shortage.

On the battery deal, the BLS1 can be used in the camera. However, I don't think the battery and chargers can be mixed around(bls1 battery in a bls5 charger and vice versa) around. I have 2 BLS1 chargers and 3 BLS1 batteries already, so I haven't even unwrapped the BLS5 battery and charger, LOL!.
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I got mine used, so if you paid $399 new, then that's a pretty darn good deal, too.

Thanks for the tips on the battery!
  6. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    I did something similar, although I never actually had the E-P3 in my hands.

I started with the E-P1 and 17mm and a large collection of 4/3 gear, and lately i've been selling 4/3 gear to build a more extensive m4/3 kit. Sold my 4/3 9-18 and got the m4/3 9-18.

I had my sights on the E-P3, so I sold my rarely-used EC-14 and E-330 and was contemplating selling the E-3 when I ran across the E-PL2 kit new for $399.

I was hoping for a bigger leap in AF speed from the E-P1 but in casual comparisons I think they're pretty similar. The ability to reduce the size of the AF area is a key feature on the E-PL2 compared to the E-P1 for me.

I'm still considering selling the E-3 and replacing the E-PL2 with an E-P3 but for the money the E-PL2 is a stellar camera.

The batteries are interchangeable in the cameras (the E-PL2 doesn't even have a contact for the 4th terminal on the BL5). I'm pretty sure the only caveat is that the old charger cannot charge the new battery.
  7. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Oh no! Wait 'till Ned finds out you said this...
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm thinking E-PM1 and 45/1.8 in a small bag, E-P3 and 14mm around the neck. Similar idea! I can't let the 20/1.7 go though. That one will always have a place in the bag (and occasionally on one of the cameras).

As for E-PL2 build quality, I think it's pretty good. Nice looking camera as well!
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Same here. I was thinking of moving to the PL25, but decided it wasn't money well spent, and also the Rattlesnake issue put me off. I'll see how the used prices go.

I saw your note in the EPM1 thread about EPM1 + mZD45. I hadn't considered that, but that's a good idea! Lots of reach in a tiny kit.
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    100% agree! I experienced that on the EP3, and now on the EPL2, and it makes a good difference.

I've read some other folks comment that the EPL2 focuses quicker than the EP1, and have even seen some numerical test results, but it doesn't seem like a big deal in real life. The EP3's focus assist beam is a game changer vs. the EPL2 and EP1.

I'm OK buying used, so I may yet end up with an EP3 down the road (used), but this is a nice, affordable intermediate step.
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have a 3 or 4 year old Canon IXUS that is made from titanium, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if the E-PL2 didn't quite match it for quality of materials.
  12. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I'm currently using an E-P1 and looking around for a cheap-ish E-PL2, of course I'll be keeping my E-P1 body though, I just can't let the lovely wee thing go.
  13. GdenisM

GdenisM Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 11, 2011
    I have the silver epl-2 and thanks to Aki-Asahi, it feels and looks a lot better. Black leatherette, baby!

(I bet the black body would look even cooler...)

14. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Is beam just another word for lamp or is it something else entirely?

I've just moved from GF2 to EPL2 and I can't believe it doesn't have an AF assist lamp. I knew this before I bought it, but didn't think it would annoy me as much as it does. It's such a simple thing that even the cheapest P&S cameras have. It's a little embarrassing to have a group of friends posing for a photo and my 'fancy new camera' can't focus but the coolpix in the hand of the guy next to me has no worries.

anyone want to trade a GF2 + EPL2 for an EP3??
  15. kimnkk

kimnkk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    Me!bourne, Australia
    Would love to see pictures of this! Not many upclose pics of the silver EPL2 with leatherette skin from aki asahi. Pics!! :2thumbs:
  16. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
  17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just got an E-PL2. I like certain things about it, like the sharper image output, IBIS and the colors are really nice, but I really don't care for Olympus handling. It has this awesome image processing, but a very button intensive way of navigating. Even with the super panel, I just find it slower to function in general. Panasonic's approach is very DSLR-like and lends to a quicker style of shooting.
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Did you try a pen? That's a better experience. They de-feature the EPL series in the past, to justify the cost difference.
  19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I tried the E-P2, didn't like it much. Tempted on the E-P3, but I do like my G3. :smile: