E-PL2 owns the G3 in portraiture shooting!

ccunningham

Mu-43 Veteran
I've had this happen to me on multiple occasions, on several cameras. I will attest it is a definitely a user issue: me. :rofl:

"Why is this blurry? Is the shutter speed too slow? Did I move? Oh $%#*@! I left it in manual focus..." :biggrin:
It's happened to me too. Even though it's really my fault, I usually end up missing the days of the k1000. There were only four controls and the settings were always visible. ISO, shutter speed and aperture, and focus. No ae, af, auto iso, i auto, i res, film style, drive modes, etc. (And I know all that makes me sound like an old timer. I also remember a world without a world wide web, which makes it even worse. And I'm only in my forties.)
Back on the subject, all those great features sure do come in really handy sometimes, so I'm pretty sure I would miss them. Then I would be complaining about why they can put a man on the moon but we can't make a camera that focuses itself...

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha ha, not on this forum, but on some more general forums it helps you survive being an Olympus owner if you have a big ego. On one forum a while back I got tired of the inaccurate statements about Four Thirds being made by a D3 owner so I challenged him to a shoot out (I threatened to hire an E-5 with 14-35mm). Couldn't see him for dust! Which was just as well as secretly I was pooing myself - but he didn't know that! :rofl:
I just got back to this thread after taking a hiatus...I've shot everything from a D1 all the way to the D3X and I gotta say, Olympus has made me a believer! I'm not going to dump my current D3 and D700, but in the right conditions the current crop of Olympus m43 cameras really hold their own in image output. In fact I just sold my G3. The one thing that Olympus gets right in my opinion is metering and controlling shadow gradation. In varying light conditions these are key things in quick candid shooting. And for those having issues with your dials...gaffer tape is your friend. :smile:

tabbyarthur

Mu-43 Regular
your pictures are no longer available. where could I look at the differences between the olympus and the panasonic you posted?

cherrywood

Mu-43 Regular
The Eye's Have it !!!

Honestly... the G3 holds it's own as well or better than any other m4/3 camera when it comes to portraiture. The camera is really relatively unimportant; it's the photographer that makes the difference! Learn to use the camera and you own portraiture, not the camera.

Lest the relative newcomer see this thread and think that a G3 is second to any other m4/3 camera for portraiture, let me offer some examples of portraiture with the G3 for you to consider.

G3
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

G3

G3

Point being... put your energy into learning photography. Any of today's current camera models, be it Pany, Olympus, Pentax, or Canon can do most anything you want it to do, if you know what to do with the camera.
Don, beautiful shot to the 1st lady. Great eyes, you are a master of the portrait,my friend.

Dennis.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
How about we say the G3 is the best thing on the planet and Olympus is not and will not ever be better? :smile:

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
I'm going to as Luckypenguin to get out the cute kitty picture any minute...

I don't think there are any Olympus haters here, nor Panasonic haters, least wise I certainly hope not.

Each system has its well deserved fans, many of us have had, or do have one or more of each. Heck, how many Olympus owners have a Panny 14 or 20? how many Panny owners were thrilled when Oly brought out the 45 / 1.8??

The title of the original post in this thread brought out some pretty competitive banter. Personally I wish the title had been more along the lines of "Love my E-PL2 for portraits" ... etc.

The more µ43 users the better, Oly / Panny I could care less. I'm just glad to see the format catching on and thriving.

:grouphug:

Cheers, Alan

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I'm going to as Luckypenguin to get out the cute kitty picture any minute...

I don't think there are any Olympus haters here, nor Panasonic haters, least wise I certainly hope not.

Each system has its well deserved fans, many of us have had, or do have one or more of each. Heck, how many Olympus owners have a Panny 14 or 20? how many Panny owners were thrilled when Oly brought out the 45 / 1.8??

The title of the original post in this thread brought out some pretty competitive banter. Personally I wish the title had been more along the lines of "Love my E-PL2 for portraits" ... etc.

The more µ43 users the better, Oly / Panny I could care less. I'm just glad to see the format catching on and thriving.

:grouphug:

Cheers, Alan
Ahh. C'mon Alan. I was hoping to see some pitchforks. :cool:

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
Jonathan F/2 said:
I just got back to this thread after taking a hiatus...I've shot everything from a D1 all the way to the D3X and I gotta say, Olympus has made me a believer! I'm not going to dump my current D3 and D700, but in the right conditions the current crop of Olympus m43 cameras really hold their own in image output. In fact I just sold my G3. The one thing that Olympus gets right in my opinion is metering and controlling shadow gradation. In varying light conditions these are key things in quick candid shooting. And for those having issues with your dials...gaffer tape is your friend. :smile:
Try the new Pens. Metering is noticeably improved (and AWB) compared to E-PL2. I now use E-PM1 almost exclusively for those reasons alone.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Yeah, I've heard that the newest PENs are much improved with metering and WB, but I've always felt that Oly has had the edge in that over the competition as early as their E-System DSLRs,so I'm excited to see the latest installment in action!

Kiwi Paul

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I must say that I agree with Don about the G3 and E-PL3, I also own both and don't have a preference, they both have their uses and the IQ from both of them is so good I don't bother comparing. The G3 ergonomics and inbuilt EVF suit some situations while the small size and compactness of the EPL3 suit others. It's good to be able to select from 2 manufacturers and share the same lenses, m4/3 is excellent in that respect.

Paul

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom