1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL2 owns the G3 in portraiture shooting!

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Jonathan F/2, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The older E-PL2 is owning the G3 as a portrait camera! It's slower, has an older sensor, but I'm getting consistent results that are near perfect out of camera. Don't get me wrong, the G3 is very capable, but the E-PL2 is nailing everything I'm pointing it at! The Olympus "Look" is truly winning me over. I'm having to tweak the G3 just to match the Olympus. Here are two samples I took with the 45 1.8:

E-PL2:

E-PL2 Closeup:

G3:

G3 closeup:

I know these are two different scenarios at the same scene, but I had to really tweak the G3 image to get it acceptable. The E-PL2 image came out near perfect. Not sure if I'm still feeling the G3. It's a better high ISO camera (I can shoot decent 3200 ISO shots), but I think IBIS negates that advantage since I'm not shooting movement at that ISO range. Plus the 16mp sensor isn't all that advantageous especially when Olympus has gone with a super weak AA filter. I'm seriously considering going all Olympus. :eek:

2. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I shoot both Oly and G3.. the G3 is "colder" and more blue, while the EPx is "warmer" and more amber.

One click on "auto white balance" in LR3.5 makes it pretty much equal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    LR 3.5 has warmed me up to my G3 - literally and figuratively! I haven't tried the auto white balance button but the the auto exposure button works well in many cases, giving the images more "pop". I love watching an image transform before my eyes!

4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Jonathan... I think you should just sell your G3. You seem to be complaining a lot about the G3 in various threads. Why not sell it and move on?... you'll be happier and so will your posts! :smile:

As for myself, portraits are my thing and have been for decades. I also shoot with both the G3 and the E-PL3. I easily can make wonderful images with either camera. Hand me one or the other and I'm fine with that. I like them both very much. Each has their own unique qualities and characteristics and neither is superior to the other. :thumbup:

No point grousing and grumbling on and on... sell it and move on.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    sorry, but to my eyes the G3 images win in this shoot-out. It really is pretty much a dead heat. Keep whichever one you like to use more.

6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I should have not read this post. LOL. i just ordered G3.. should I cancel order.. :) ? I have EP3 and EPL3.. but want to try G3.. Doug

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    If you like E-PL2, you may want to consider one of the newer Pens to replace your G3. I have and enjoy both E-PL2 and E-PM1. Along with superfast AF with E-PM1, I especially enjoy 35 small focus points to choose from which is great when shooting with Oly 45mm f1.8 (shallow DoF). Granted with E-PL2 you can set focus point smaller but it's much more cumbersome procedure so I rarely resort to that. Also, E-PM1 (=the rest of the new Pens as well) has much better AWB under artifical light. With E-PL2 I often use "tungsten" preset instead of AWB.

P.S. I had owned both GF2 and G3 and sold both, kept E-PL2 (now 8 months and 20k clicks old) and definately keeping E-PM1.

8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    MrDoug... if you base your purchase decisions on various random posts from various random people, you'll be buying and selling so much you'd never have time to take any pictures.

Take your time, do diligent homework, and don't listen to every voice in the air. When you're confident that your homework has informed you reasonably, make a purchase. Over time you'll buy and sell various cameras and lenses. In the grand scheme of things, this is the best way to learn and grow. Only you can evaluate what works best for you, your abilities, and needs. Is the G3 for you? Is the E-PL3 for you? I have no idea. Only you can determine that.

• Like Like x 4
  9. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Hi all,

I think for Panny M43 cameras, one useful function is white balance calibration. On my GH2 it is easily done through the touch screen. On the G3 it is probably easily done too. I discovered that once I get into the habit of calibrating the white balance for important shoots, the colors are pretty much spot on and no need to do much tweaking in LR/Aperture.

Give it a shot. White balance calibration is available for all good cameras, but on the Panny cameras, it is especially easy. Just a few touches here and there.

Bian

• Like Like x 3
  10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Mr. Doug, I look forward to your review of your soon-to-arrive G3!

I currently own an E-P3, and is seriously contemplating getting a second m4/3 body, and is torn between the E-PL3 and the G3. I have always used Oly m4/3 cameras, and didn't like the older generations of Panny m4/3 cameras much. However, I am seriously tempted to give the G3 a try, so I very much welcome any comments on the G3 coming from Oly m4/3 users... :wink:

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm not saying the G3 is a bad camera. It's very good. It's probably a better general use camera for most photographers. The G3 shines in the higher ISO range from 800-3200 which I find completely usable. AF is very fast, with minimal shutter lag and WB is also really good. I just find the E-PL2 to excel at portraiture work in comparison to the G3. :smile:

12. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Honestly... the G3 holds it's own as well or better than any other m4/3 camera when it comes to portraiture. The camera is really relatively unimportant; it's the photographer that makes the difference! Learn to use the camera and you own portraiture, not the camera.

Lest the relative newcomer see this thread and think that a G3 is second to any other m4/3 camera for portraiture, let me offer some examples of portraiture with the G3 for you to consider.

G3
    Blair1020382.

G3
    P1020161.

G3
    Blair1020482b.

Point being... put your energy into learning photography. Any of today's current camera models, be it Pany, Olympus, Pentax, or Canon can do most anything you want it to do, if you know what to do with the camera.

• Like Like x 7
  13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Great point. I use the back of my white iPhone for white balance calibration. Works a peach!

14. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Don, your images are a very bad influence. You've now got me wanting the G3. :wink:

15. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    What? I never said the G3 was a bad camera. I use my m43 cameras to shoot family shots. I have a fully loaded Nikon kit covering all my work needs shooting fulltime for a living. :rolleyes: I'm just offering another POV. If someone is focusing on people shooting, why spend the extra money? The E-PL2 and in my opinion handles better than the G3 in the area of people shooting.

16. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Jonathan... you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but this along with another thread you started appear to cast a pointedly negative slant on the G3 and I wish to offer an alternative view. Some people will read titles like "E-PL2 owns the G3 in portraiture shooting!" and believe that's the case, when in fact it isn't.

If you prefer working with the E-PL2, I have no beef with that. Use it and enjoy. But the E-PL2 does not "own" the G3 for portraiture and trumpeting that from the mountain tops seems a bit dramatic, arrogant and a little condescending, in my view. :rolleyes: They are each capable and competent cameras in their own rights.

I happen to have shot a good bit of professional portraiture with both the E-PL3 and the G3 in recent days and find them to each be very capable and competent at portraiture, which is my specialty.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Sorry, I also agree with Luke. They are all excellent pictures, but in your own samples, I prefer the images from the G3.

--Warren

18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's cameras, why get your panties in a bunch! It's not like we're debating politics. :smile: You can probably pick up a used E-PL2 for $275-300 or $400 brand new with lens. Cheaper than a G3 going for $699 with lens. The E-PL2 is slower, a bit more cumbersome, but it's pretty darn good. If I were buying, while focusing on pure image quality (putting handling aside), I'm going to have to lean with Olympus. I think it's that much better.

Plus you're posting samples that obviously have been edited. What you're doing is unfair to someone looking at a G3 thinking they can get images like that straight out of camera, when that is not the case.

19. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Jonathan... your preference for the E-PL2 is fine with me. (I shoot an E-PL3, myself.) Enjoy it and your portraiture!

As for "E-PL2 owns the G3 in portraiture shooting!" I say, nah. I shoot E-PL3 and G3 and either can do just fine. :smile:

White balance? Editing? That's just being a photographer instead of a snap shooter. And very little of that was done to my images.

20. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Don,

How about serving more of that net justice over on Dpreview? :biggrin: