E-PL2 or GF2

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by AdamThirtle, Sep 28, 2011.

1. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Hello folks, I am currently an E-P1 user (and was a brief E-PL1 user, but didn't like the layout) with a few manual lenses, kit zoom (which is being sold to as part of affording the new set up) and waiting for that £$$%$&* 45mm 1.8.

As a poor wee student I am looking at what is cheap at the moment, but would still seem to be a decent upgrade.

Originally I was set on the E-PL2, but then had the thought, maybe I am just drawn to Olympus, and other options may be a bit better. Then I looked into the GF2, which would mainly be because you can get the pancake kit pretty cheap, and the video quality is a tad better. Is there a reason behind the GF2 being over looked quite a bit?
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Most people around here are irritated that the GF2 was nothing like the GF1, but instead a simplified dumbed down tiny touch-screen contraption. But some are fairly happy with it I think. It fit my hands very poorly and I missed having stabilization for the 14mm.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    If you're poor and your current camera works, why do you want to upgrade? Those both have your same sensor so while there will certainly be some Iq improvements they won't be huge. I'm just curious.
  4. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    I wouldn't quite say poor (even though I did) I can happily afford the E-PL2 or GF2 as they would be replacing other things.

It's mainly the new generation cameras that would break my price point, I did consider waiting to get an E-PL3 but that silly 16:9 screen made me think again.
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The GF2 handles really well, but does need some post processing to extract image quality. I'd stick with the E-PL2 just so you can swap batteries with your E-P1. Plus you're already familiar with the Olympus handling.
  6. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Get the E-PL2 for IBIS.
  7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Consider E-PM1, it's a great value and a bigger upgrade from E-PL1 than E-PL2.
  8. KhMeR

KhMeR New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2011
    At this time I could get GF2 or GF3 with 14-42mm for around $380 which about $200 lower than PL2. Is it worth to get PL2 or PM1?
  9. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'm kind of on the same boat as you, i currently have the e-pl1 and am looking to upgrade to either the epl3 or gf3. I'm looking for slightly more compact size and faster af. I like the price of the gf3 or even the gf2 can be found at great prices these days, its a tough decision.
  10. rinaldo1711

rinaldo1711 New to Mu-43

Nov 2, 2011
    I'm drawn to the GF2 (partly I admit on price grounds), but I worry a bit about the lack of ibis, and the 14mm lens is not the fastest.
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a GF2 and its biggest weakness is that it isn't a GF1. FWIW I like the GF2 better than the E-PL2. I like the smaller size and has a better UI and controls. I also like the fact that it has a focus assist light where the E-PL2 does not. As far as the lack of IBIS...I have never found that to be an issue with my photos. I have had several Olympus and Panasonic bodies and there are things that I could point to as a legitimate reason to prefer Olympus over Panasonic (and vice versa) but IMHO IBIS is not one of them.
  12. taphapy

taphapy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    I love my gf2. Better than the gf1 I had. I don't miss whatever is missing in the gf2. Don't know anything about olympus cameras, though...
  13. mnr3

mnr3 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    couldn't find anything in the archives for this, but does either of these 2 have an advantage when manually focusing adapted lenses?
  14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    IBIS is the biggest advantage on the Olympus side. Though the GF3 and newer Pany cameras have the small focus screen so you don't have to zoom in.
  15. mnr3

mnr3 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    thanks, but I meant for the actual task of focusing--sth. like the "peaking" offered in other systems, or the ability to do a close up of a focal point, for example, or some other feature I haven't come across
  16. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Frankly speaking, I find Olympus cameras really inconvenient for manual focusing with legacy lenses. Too much steps to get into and out of the zoom in mode. On the GF2 you can simply touch the screen and it will magnify exactly the selected area.
  17. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The GF3/G3 have that focus-in-focus ability which works pretty well. It's not as good as focus peaking, but it's better than zooming in when you just want focus quickly.