1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL2 or E-PM1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by melvinbrian, Dec 22, 2011.

1. melvinbrian

melvinbrian Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    My dead GF2 hasn't come back yet from Panasonic's Service Center.
    And now that i got my year-end bonus, I am planning on buying an Oly with IBIS.
    I use native lenses only in events where there are constant moving subjects/people.
    While I enjoy experimenting shooting in legacy lenses both primes and telephoto. My Minolta MD 50mm f1.7 rarely leaves my GF2 body.

I checked online stores here in Manila and found a couple of good deals.

E-PL2 with 14-42mm ver2 and 40-150mm ver2 for Php24,000 ($570)
    E-PM1 with 14-42 ver2 for Php23,800 ($550)
    E-PL1 with 14-42mm for Php150,00 ($350)

I want the newer sensor of E-PM1 but I am hooked by the twin lens package of the E-PL2 and the cheapness of the E-PL1 (which ofcourse has a slower AF).

I have a GF2 with 14mm and 14-42mm. I am thinking of selling the GF2 body after the repair service, I'm throwing also one of its lenses, maybe the 14-42mm.
    I also have a Minolta 50mm f1.7 and a Vivitar 300mm f5.5.

So which of the Oly Cam should I buy considering my "given" items and situation above.

2. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Hi kabayan!

I'd recommend the epl2, or the epm1. Both are fantastic but the epl2 feels better in my hands. And twin kit lens price is unbeatable.

If you opt for the epm1, i can help you get a bnew one for 22k. Just PM me :)

Sent from my iOS using Mu-43 App

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi,

I'd go for the Epl-2.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It sounds like you already have some legacy and some native lenses, correct? Would the addition of the 40-150mm do you any good? I think it is a very good lens to add to a standard kit zoom, but it's nothing special if you already have better lenses in that range. I'll pick up a legacy 135mm f/2.8 over a native 40-150mm f/4-5.6 any day.

Even if you disregard the "bonus" lens though, then the choice between an E-PL2 and an E-PM1 is still a tough decision. I have both, and I do prefer the E-PM1 personally. It's significantly more compact without sacrificing any capabilities, which is exactly what I bought into the system for in the first place! It's also faster, with much improved Auto White Balance. The AWB on the new generation PENs is quite amazing actually... it seems to adjust just like the human eye, but of course a lot slower.

The rest of the image quality is essentially the same. The E-PL2 made the first significant step in better IQ, following after the pro-grade E-5 in the E-System DSLR line. Both these cameras (the E-PL2 and E-PM1) will deliver very sharp images and fine detail through a super-weak Anti-Aliasing filter which is almost clear. The E-PL2 is not as quick in response or autofocus with native lenses though, as the E-PM1 has a dual processor. The E-PL2 however, has a design more like the E-P3, with built-in flash (for triggering remote flashes when you have the EVF attached - otherwise, the clip-on flash with the E-PM1 will do the same if you don't use the VF-2 or VF-3 at the same time), a couple more dedicated buttons, and a larger grip. The grip is the nicest thing about the E-PL2, and feels nicer when holding heavier lenses. However, it comes at the expense of packing size, which the E-PM1 does incredibly well. If you can find an adjustable wrist strap which will hold your E-PM1 snugly in holding position though, then the E-PM1 becomes at least as good if not better to hold.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-PL2 has much better IBIS if that's a priority. For everything else, as Ned said, E-PM1 is much better. Looks like you plan to use legacy lenses mostly for which AF speed is totally irrelevant so I guess E-PL2 may be a better choice. After all you have more buttons (magnify, Fn and Rec vs just Rec on E-PM1) which will help a lot. Also VF-2 is usually a must for legacy shooters, w/E-PL2 yoy'll still have flash intact. I suggest to look for a used E-PL2 body on this or other forums which can be found quite cheap.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree with Ned, I am finding that a nice adjustable wrist strap hold my E-PM1 very comfortably in hand. It's light, easy to pack around and a great performer. It's a pretty tough package to resist. Long lenses to tend to feel a bit unbalanced on the body but I rarely use mine so it's not that big a deal for me. The fact that you can find them for $399 in kit form doesn't hurt either.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm not a huge fan of the EPM1 for legacy lenses unless you use the VF. The LCD is small, and there are not a lot of buttons, so I assign the buttons to other purposes. I thought the EPL2 was better for legacy lenses without an EVF.

With an EVF, I find I can MF just fine, without MF assist.

For all other purposes, I far prefer the EPM1. I loved everything about the EPL2 -- grip, size, weight, reasonable controls, but the speed of the EPM1 is intoxicating, and my EPL2 just stopped being used. I use the EVF for the few legacy lenses I have, on the EPM1.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    True, the LCD on both cameras are 3" and 460k dots, but the the E-PM1 has a 16:9 widescreen aspect, so the actual view when shooting at native 4:3 is smaller (but bigger and without letterbox when shooting HD video!).

The lack of Magnify button on the E-PM1 also means that you have to assign it to the Record button if you want to use it for legacy lenses. The way I have mine set up though, is to have two types of Mysets, one for legacy and one for native (including Four-Thirds) lenses. For my legacy preset I have the Record button on Magnify, and for the native preset I have the Record button set to AF (with the Zoom enabled in the INFO button if I still need the Magnify function). So it still works out. ;)

The EVF though, as you say, is an invaluable tool for shooting manual focus (on any type of PEN). It's not an absolute necessity, but it does make life easier for sure.

Good point! I nearly forgot about that aspect. I still use IBIS on the E-PM1 and haven't run across any problems yet, but I certainly feel "safer" with the IBIS on my E-PL2. ;) It's probably all because of this forum though, lol.

9. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
  10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow, that's a great deal on E-P3!
    43rumors is reporting that Oly may be releasing a new model in February. If that's the case I expect dramatic price cuts on E-P3 in the coming months.

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have the E-PM1 and love it. If smaller size, faster auto focus, better white balance and slightly better image quality are important to you, then I say go for the E-PM1. If having a built-in flash and getting the bonus lens is more important, and a larger camera body with more external controls works better for you, then get the E-PL2 - which is still not a bad camera at all.

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    E-PM1 is my vote. I love the E-PL2, but the E-PM1 integrates newer image processing such as the excellent AWB. The E-PM1 makes a very good all-around camera. Though if you plan to shoot mainly daytime or studio I still would have to lean towards the E-PL2 due to the slightly weaker AA filter.

13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I have both cameras but if I had to choose just one, I'd pick E-PM1 in a second. Too many improvements to pass on (new AWB sensor alone is worth a lot, IMO).

14. nwbie1

nwbie1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2010
    San Francisco, Ca.
    I recommend the E-pm1...had an E-pl2 and a E-pl3 at the same time and thought the auto focus was not fast enough for me...ended up with the Epl-3 which has the same af speed as the E-pm1. If you can, test them both so that you can see the actual difference. I added the flipbac grip (G2) on my E-pl3 and it made a reasonable difference.

15. melvinbrian

melvinbrian Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2011
    Manila, Philippines
    I guess im going with the newer EPM1 then.

Will i lose something great if i would drop the 40-150mm zoom lens that comes with the EPL2?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

16. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you do a lot of daytime telephoto shooting you'll miss out on that. But if you can manage to find a 40-150 used later on you can always go that route!

17. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Also, if you skip the kit zoom you get to choose which tele zoom you get.... Maybe a used panny 45-200? Or the new 45-175x...

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Or the m.Zuiko 75-300mm or Lumix 100-300mm. The 40-150mm is too short in my books, over the range that's covered by the very good fast primes. If I had to get a slow native zoom lens, it would have the extra reach.

19. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Wouldn't the 75-300mm or the 100-300mm be a bit unbalanced on the E-PM1, or even E-PL3?

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hell no. I use much, much larger lenses than that on my PEN (I wouldn't think of keeping lenses that slow), and never found them unbalanced.

Larger lenses are held by the lens, not the body. Telephoto zooms in particular, are always supported by the lens. That was the same with my DSLR, just as it is with my PEN.

Here are the top 4 lenses which are found on my PEN camera at any random time:

flash_bracket_web.
    zuiko_50-200mm_swd_web.
    [​IMG]
    zeiss_sonnar_135mm_2,8_web.

I think only one of those lenses (the nifty fifty) is actually smaller and lighter than the native lenses you're worried about.