E-PL2 or E-P2 Which One?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by GUSSER, Sep 11, 2011.

GUSSER New to Mu-43

Oct 6, 2010
    With the upgrades to the PL2 I have a hard time deciding on which model to buy. I can get such a good deal on the P2, I like the feature set of this one, however I must consider the upgrades to the PL2, monitor res. and some of the other tweaks. My mind was set on the P2 since it seems just better, but now I am confused. Also, doe the upgrades to the PL2 mean the P2 is soon to be discontinued?
    Help please - if you had a choice - which one?
  2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    PL2 is great (I would say that since I have one). I'm not sure about the P2, but the PL-2 is now discontinued..... I think it's been out for all of around 10 months and consigned to history already....

GUSSER New to Mu-43

Oct 6, 2010
    E-PL@ vs. E-P2

The EPL2 was upgraded earlier this year, and released again. I think you mean the EP2 is being discontinued
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, the E-P2 was barely selling anyways. The E-PL2 is a hot commodity still.

If you use manual lenses, the E-PL2 is a much better bet because of both the direct Close-Up button as well as the higher screen resolution. It makes manual focusing much more easier. If your adapted lenses are of the heavier sort, then the E-PL2 also affords a better grip to hold onto. If you use the EVF, then the E-PL2 allows you to do that while still triggering external flashes with the built-in Remote Flash Commander. If you want the ultimate in high image quality, the E-PL2 is also the better choice. The images are sharper and more detailed, and truer in color even at high ISO. This is due to the very weak AA filter. My E-P1 handled noise fine, but the images were rather soft and still had color streaks at high ISO. Not the E-PL2.

If you want a more rugged quality build, more classic looks (like the recessed mode dial), and the ease of the thumbwheel control dial, then the E-P2 is the choice for that.

Personally, I choose the E-PL2 over the E-P2 any day. Neither of these cameras are so rugged and well-built (like for instance an E-3 or E-5) that the build really makes any substantial difference. The build quality of the E-PL2 is actually very strong, though I wish it retained the thumbwheel.

GUSSER New to Mu-43

Oct 6, 2010
    EPL2 vs. EP2

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate your input, and the sense you make regarding attributes of both models.
  6. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Nope, I definitely meant the E-PL2 is now discontinued.... :smile:
  7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    As an EP2 owner, I'd choose EPL2 over EP2.
  8. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Olympus UK still sells it on-line for 799 pounds?

Where did you see the news?

Not that I really care ;) I have it and I love it.
  9. George S

George S New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2011
    Jessops are selling the E-P2 + evf2 + spare battery for £499, also the E-PL2 for £299, not bad deals.
  10. dd1

dd1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2011
    Jessops deal is E-PL2 kit (with 14-42) at £299, so a very good deal. My local Jessops has a Jacobs just over the road, they are trying to sell the E-PL2 on "Special" at £429.
  11. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Don't wanna beat a dead horse, but I'm torn between the E-P2 and E-PL2. I currently have the P2 and am thinking about selling it towards getting a PL2.

I am strictly using legacy glass with the P2/PL2 (tried legacy on the G3, but didn't feel right). I have the VF-2 already. Is it worth the upgrade(?) to go from the P2 to PL2 if I'm using strictly legacy lenses? Probably looking at anywhere from $25-75 if I do it.
  12. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    The benefits are already mentioned in this thread, and at a possible $25 to do so? Definitely.
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If nothing else, when using manual focus with either the VF-2 or the LCD, you will have a much easier method of zooming in with the Close-Up button to get that critical focus. It's way more efficient than using the info button like the E-P2, and your legacy lenses can't communicate to zoom in when you touch the focus ring (like Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds lenses).

Plus when you're not using the VF-2, you will also get much better manual focus with the LCD, which is twice the resolution of the E-P2.

I think it'll be well worth the upgrade for you. The E-PL2 images are sharper, but whether you notice that or not will depend on how picky you are. The ease of handling for manual focus on the other hand, will be much improved with the E-PL2.
  14. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for your input. Let's see if I can do a sell & buy as painlessly as possible.
  15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-PL2 has much better grip for handling legacy lenses
  16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  17. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    If your using legacy mainly, and you have the vf-2 I would think the lcd is a moot point. I thinkthe big difference will be controls, as the e-pl2 makes you give up the scroll wheel. For me that alone is a deal breaker, plus now that both cameras are no longer the latest up to date, i would think the e-p2 is much better built and would last longer as far as wear and tear goes. I personally passed on the e-pl2 as no scroll wheel and I was unimpressed with build quality. Also , one review I read and felt was fairly thorough and also mentioned the red dot issue(not that I really think its an issue) stated that honestly you might as well stick with an E-PL1 vs the E-PL2 unless you want the other art filter, and the larger screen. I buy stuff based on ergonomics and workmanship as well as ability of the item. Just my opinion, but I thought my E-PL1 was of much better build quality then the E-PL2 I looked at, and hence I chose the E-P2 despite others saying it was a lesser product, not in my books.
  18. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Hi, a hovering newbie here, this thread is leaning me towards a cheap jessops pl2 deal, I'm after a fast af lens to go with it, will the 20mm panasonic do the job?

This would be my compact camera to sit alongside two nikon dslr's so I'm looking for reasonable IQ!
  19. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    The 20mm is a great lens. Not sure, but others might recommend the newer 25mm or 45mm.

As for me, I'm just going to keep my P2. The buying and selling isn't as easy as I thought, so I convinced myself to keep it lol. The operation speed doesn't bother me, I only need to press "Info" once to get the magnify box, using it is like second nature, and it's a bit nostalgic since I've had it for so long. :cool:
  20. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    The 20mm is a great lens. IMHO, it is more versatile than the 25 f/1.4 and definitely so than the 45 f/1.8, and would compliment your existing cameras very well!

Also, I have no problem with the workmenship of the E-PL2, even though it does look less solid than the E-P2. The faster autofocus speed and higher resolution screen are enough for me to pick the PL2 over a P2.