1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PL2 Live Shadow/Highlight Levels?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bizzarrini, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Hi Guys,

I just got an E-PL2 to compliment my E-P2 and was playing around with the live-view blinkies. Fantastic feature! I noticed the menu allowed defining the clipping thresholds for both shadows and highlights. Any idea what might be a good value for these settings? At the moment I'm shooting JPEG, but I assume RAW would allow greater headroom and thus probably require other level settings to be a realistic representation of the recovery possibilities of the file?

Cheers!

2. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I also have the same question

3. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Anyone with tips?

4. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    When setting the black and white point for printing from Photoshop I use a value of 7 for the black point and 247 for the white. I haven't changed these values for the clipping warnings on my E-P3, but now that you mention it I'm going to give those numbers a try.

5. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I think the answer is to bump the numbers just enough that you don't loose the bottom or the top end when you are getting the 'blinkies'. I think of it as a warning that I will soon be out of gas rather than the light coming on as the engine dies.

I would consider bumping it up to 5% on each end to start. So, how about 243 and 12? That would pretty much ensure that you don't blow the highlights or lose the shadows if you are getting a warning.

My opinion, report back what you decide.

Dan

6. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Can anyone explain how to get to the settings for this within the menu?

Thank you!

7. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Okay, here's how to do it. (But first be certain that you've enabled the full Menu listing or you may not see some of these displayed)....

Select iAuto or PAS or M on the Mode dial.
    1. press Menu then scroll to
    2. Gears (cogs) -- press Left arrow and scroll to
    3. Display PC -- press Left arrow and scroll to
    4. Histogram Settings (you'll need to scroll down past "Live View Boost" to the second page of this group)
    5. press Left arrow to see the settings for Highlight and Shadow levels.
    6. press up or down arrows to change level settings as appropriate.
    7. press OK then press Menu repeatedly to back out of the Menu system.

... and you're done.

Have fun shooting! :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Thank you Bob for info. I found it and was going to use 243 and 12 for a start. Found that mine will only go from 245-255 on highlight and 0-10 on shadow. Any thoughts on why?

9. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    My bad

That's was my suggestion on the numbers based on 5%. After I attempted to make the adjustment I realized that that range was not available. I have since tried 5 and 250 and used it in my session yesterday. I found these settings to be informative and useful. It made sense math wise but not practically. Sorry to misinform... :redface:

Dan

• Like Like x 1
  10. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Ok, thanks Dan. I just wanted a place to start, I will try those also.

Randy

11. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Ummmmmm...... nope! :frown:

Though I knew how to reach the menu and change these, I had never tried actually changing them until just now. It appears that my E-PL2 has the same limits you noted. Don't know why.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of gray-scale physics will chime in with an answer.

12. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I would guess it's just the way they wrote the software. Perhaps they found that when they allowed the range to be wider than 10 on each end too much of the screen was being highlighted and it lost it's effectiveness in alerting the user to make an adjustment. I suppose it could be quite frustrating if the camera had less dynamic range adjustment available than the warning screen's range is set at.

13. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I would agree with that. The 'blinkies' are helpful for making exposure decisions and not losing important information in your files, but beyond a few points of adjustment it becomes less useful. I have settled on 5 points at each end (blacks=5, white=250). Theses values are only for the jpeg files because that is the image you see on the back of the camera, even of you are shooting RAW. If you are shooting RAW and want a more accurate exposure preview, figure out which picture mode matches your RAW images the closest. I use a RAW profile in Lightroom that I generated using an x-rite color checker. I use the "muted" setting in the camera. This gives me the most accurate exposure preview for my RAW files. The picture mode settings do not apply to RAW files unless you use the Olympus software, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone ;)
    It takes a bit of practice and experience with a particular camera to figure out just how much you can blow out on the LCD and save in post.

14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Olympus Viewer is slow and clunky, but it produces better color than Lightroom.

15. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I like the easy application of the Olympus picture modes to RAW files in Oly Viewer, but "slow and clunky" is an understatement.
    I have develop presets in Lightroom for matching the Oly jpegs. The extra work to develop the presets on the front end pays off for me in the time saved by not using the Oly software.
    Lightroom is better software than Viewer overall, and you can make the colors look like whatever you want.

16. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    With the advice to Expose To The Right, I'm seeing some benefit to adjusting the ends of the exposure range and also settled on 5 and 250. While shooting, I adjusted the EV to get slight blinkies in the highlights and found when I popped the images into Lightroom they were nearly perfectly exposed on the high end as I lost no highlights at all. Having the warning at 250 surely saved some of the data on that end. I think 5 is a good number.

Dan

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Expose to the right AND lower the highlight ceiling. That might be a nice mix. Think I'll play with that for a while.