E-PL2/Lens for Disney World?

GregU

Mu-43 Regular
Hello Bbq,
As to me, the 14-150 would be nice whenever you are outside with its capability to go from wide to far zooming.
However, the 20 comes as a must everytime you are inside (and you quite often inside also at Disney's.....)
If you want to restrict to one lens only...I would advice the 20.

I don't think you would need a specific photo bag...the 14-150, with a light and thin protection, is small enough to fit in many other places....and I don't even mention the 20.....

Most of all....enjoy the place :)
I used the 20mm all over the place. It is awesome at dusk, and in some areas like Epcot which are very dimly lit (like Mexico in the World Showcase). I very rarely used the zoom lenses, but I did use them on occasion, and as some people mentioned the parades are one such instance where the zoom is helpful.

bbq797

Mu-43 Regular
I didn't buy any lenses for it yet. I'm leaning towards the 20mm and possibly the 14-150 (I'm waiting on a couple of gift cards to come in the mail...gotta love reward points!). I also just want to make sure that the camera is fast enough to keep up w/my little ones (I have a 2 & 5 yr. old) (Focus and shot to shot time). I know it's not quite as fast as a dslr, but I'm hoping for better than my p&s!!

andyw

Mu-43 Veteran
It's going to be sunny and everything there is kinda up close so i would just go with the 14-42 to be honest but i would take a 20mm f1.7 Pany along for the evenings. There's not much to photograph that you need 200mm.

bbq797

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks--that's true. I'm not sure who the poster was (I'd have to look back), but someone mentioned that the only thing I'd need that reach for is in Animal Kingdom, but nothing I can't see at a local zoo anyway, so not so important.

I should get the camera today or Monday, if all is well, then the 20mm will be my next purchase : )

Brian G

Mu-43 Veteran
Late in 2010 I was on a trip to Europe, which entailed several cities in a few days, including visits to the Vatican, and other interesting indoor locations.

What I had with me was my G1, the 14-45 kit zoom, and the 20mm. I only own these two lenses in terms of m43. I also have a 90mm Tamron macro & an adaptor, but left that behind in order to keep it light.

Use broke down very clearly: the zoom for outdoor daylight situations, where the versatility was key, and the 20mm with it's faster aperture was necessary for indoor use.

All carried in what Lowepro used to sell as a film pouch on a shoulder strap. (These days they call it something else . . .). Ridiculously small and light . . . and liberating!

Burkey

Mu-43 Regular
We make a couple of trips to WDW every year as my wife is a huge Disney fan. This past trip I took my E-PL1, 20/1.7, 14/2.5 and a Nokton 25/.95. To my surprise the vast majority of images I took ended up being with the 20/1.7. As previously mentioned, what you shoot obviously has a big influence on your lens choice but the 20/1.7 seems as least based on the type of images I shoot, to be the most versatile.
Although I have to admit the pictures I got from the 14/2.5 were very good. The Nokton got used a couple of times but no where as often as I expected.
The EPL-1 is really nice because you can add a bit of fill flash for family pictures too. Enjoy your trip.
Here's an attempt at a slide show of my examples - You can click on "View Gallery" at the top of the slide show to view the images;
. . . Burkey
Code:
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" width="640" height="480" align="" src="http://cdn.zenfolio.net/zf/code/slideshow/embedded.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="id=665854832&background=0xf5f5f5&delay=3&transition=2&loop=1&random=0&allowfs=1&allowthumbs=1&showlink=1&allowtitles=0&showtitles=1&autostart=1&allowtopbar=1&allowcontrols=1&transparent=0&loop_music=1&frame=0xcccccc&preloader=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.zenfolio.net%2Fzf%2Fcode%2Fslideshow%2F002.swf&preloader_params=color%3D0xffffff"></embed>
. . . Burkey

Burkey

Mu-43 Regular
Something else you may also want to think about if you are strongly considering the 20/1.7- an ND filter. If you want to limit the DoF on some of your shots you may find that you run out of shutter speeds when at a low ISO and wide aperture. I bought a .3 ND for the a trip to the Bahamas this fall and also used it at Disney in January. A very good investment, highly recommend. Before our next trip I'm seriously thinking about a .6 ND too. Good luck.
. . . Burkey

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Personally, I would recommend a polarizer over a ND - especially if you're going to be dealing with green foliage or reflective surfaces.

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
I went through the same thought process but I only had the e-pl1 and the kit lens when I went to tokyo disneyland and it was fine, had enough zoom for what I needed (I occasionally wanted a little more, but only on the occasion.)

You should be fine with the kit lens. it will be your flexible companion as you enjoy the show. plus, coming from a p&s background you will be used to having zoom available and I'm guessing you probably use it often too. to jump straight into prime lenses might be frustrating at first so save your money and enjoy the flexibility :)

bbq797

Mu-43 Regular
to jump straight into prime lenses might be frustrating at first so save your money and enjoy the flexibility :)
Yep! Got the 20mm today w/my rewards points :redface: and what do you know, my kids are orange! I mean, they're not really orange, but I gave the lens a whirl and clearly I'm doing something wrong. (that's another thread I suppose) The trip is a few months away, so (hopefully) I have time to figure it all out and get comfortable w/the lens. I just really want to try something different than my p&s zoom.

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
...and what do you know, my kids are orange!
high vitamin c intake is known to cause this issue.

(on a more serious note - best bet is to check the white balance setting - under funny lights indoors i know you can get the colours off a bit)

ill_dawg

Mu-43 Veteran
Sounds like the WB is off, are you shooting indoors with artificial light and auto WB? Chaqnging the WB to the 'light bulb' setting might help, and it should be better outdoors. You might also want to check your saturation settings.

GregU

Mu-43 Regular
Yep! Got the 20mm today w/my rewards points :redface: and what do you know, my kids are orange! I mean, they're not really orange, but I gave the lens a whirl and clearly I'm doing something wrong. (that's another thread I suppose) The trip is a few months away, so (hopefully) I have time to figure it all out and get comfortable w/the lens. I just really want to try something different than my p&s zoom.
Yes, I have experienced the same phenomenon. It is mildly visible with the RAW files but the jpeg engine exacerbates the issue. Specifically, this is an indoor, low light condition. The example below is from Epcot "Mexcio", indoors with very low light, E-PL1 and Panny 20mm. I believe shot using mode "p" with wb=manual.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/29622680@N02/5386603774/" title="P1213401 by gregoryurban, on Flickr">
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"500" height="375" alt="P1213401" /></a>

I tend to agree with the others that this is a wb setting. Which shooting mode are you using?

bbq797

Mu-43 Regular
oompa-loompa-doompidy-doo--hey, your kid looks really orange too!

I actually did check the WB--was in P mode set to auto, then tungsten and tried a few others--just about the same result. Also tried the same shot w/kit lens and flash--no problem
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View image in gallery

Okay, a little problem, but nothing to do w/the flash! lol

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's a worthless comparison as the flash will alter the WB, and with the 20, you will rarely be using the flash.

I know the WB engine is very tunable in the GF1, don't know about the EPL cams. It might be easier to experiment by taking a RAW photo, then adjusting the white balance on the computer - it has all the same settings, just easier to see the differences.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom