1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL2/Lens for Disney World?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bbq797, Jan 24, 2011.

1. bbq797

bbq797 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    I'm planning on upgrading from my p&s to an E-PL2. I'm also anticipating a trip to Disney World and want to purchase a lens to take with. I'd rather not change lenses, so I was thinking about purchasing the Oly 14-150. Would that be a good choice or should I go w/something else?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What kind of photography do you like to do?

In any case, I would put the 20/1.7 on the list for the compactness and wide aperture. Just be careful when taking portraits to be back far enough.

3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    If you are going to be hand held, as I would think you would be at Disney World, would high zoom settings not be a bit redundant with the resultant wobble?
    For me, the compactness of the 20mm in an environment you want to enjoy would be very attractive.

4. bbq797

bbq797 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    I'll be shooting some video, plus I have two toddlers so It might not be so easy to switch lenses.

5. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I think you'll most likely want some zoom for things like the parade, etc. where you'll be, at the very least, behind a barrier but potentially behind a bit of a crowd. I also think that you might find that you want something a bit wider on a few occasions too
    Whilst I think the 20mm is a great lens, you don't want to go somewhere as fun/special as that, especially with children, and feel hampered. I'm not sure of your photography history/background, but coming from a P&S to a fixed/prime lens takes a bit of getting used to.

EDIT: I'll check my photo's for any ideas what I used when I went to Disney Hong Kong last year, but I can't remember if I took my G10 or 500D to the park with me. I did a quick search on Flickr though and found this discussion http://www.flickr.com/groups/waltdisneyworld/discuss/72157625734101698/

Here's a quote from one guy in case you can't view it for some reason..

6. bbq797

bbq797 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks--that's why I thought a 14-150 might be a good idea. I don't have much photo experience, would love to get into primes etc., but as you said, it takes some getting used to; so I'm not so sure it would be good for this trip

7. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I spent a week at Disney this past summer.

I had the 20 and the 14-45. I rarely wanted / needed anything longer.

Of course, much depends upon your shooting style etc., and of course you noted that video will be important.

Even though you may not always have time to swop lenses, I still recommend the 20. It was used for the majority of my stuff. There are times when video is clumsy, and the the light is low and / or variable yet you want to capture the moment. With the 20 and ISO 800 you will capture great candid moments and still have all the quality you need for great prints.

8. benjomd

benjomd New to Mu-43

Nov 7, 2010
    Metro Philippines
    20 1.7

I survived my Disney trip with a 20 1.7 . Maybe 5% of the time, I wished I brought a longer lens. The 14-150 is a good idea but the 20 1.7 would suffice, at least to my style of shooting.

9. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    Just returned from a Dec. trip. Rather than longer, I'd go wider. The 20 will be fine in general, but you'll want close shots with all of the castle and the like in the background. I took a tele and didn't even use it.

10. bbq797

bbq797 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Unfortunately, I don't really know my shooting "style". Coming from a p&s, I've never really thought about it. I'd like to be a bit more deliberate and thoughtful w/the pictures I take. Which is why I'd like to get the camera now, so I can get comfortable w/it b/f the trip.

Sounds like the 20mm is a real favorite! Up for grabs is whether or not I'll need the 14-150.

My affordable $600 camera is suddenly becoming quite the initial investment!

EVF-2, 20mm, 14-150 Yikes!

11. deanrinehart

deanrinehart Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 22, 2010
    I went in September armed only with the 20mm. I didn't want to spend time fidgeting with a lens and wanted good indoor performance. It was kinda liberating (I'm used to traveling with a big bag with lots of stuff) and I never missed other focal lengths. Great for low light video as well.

12. MarkWon

MarkWon Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2010
    I was there last Summer with an E-P2, 20 f1.7, Oly 14-42, and 9-18. The majority of the time I was content using the 9-18. There is so much traffic and congestion that wide angles are a must. Did some video too. I think if I had to do it again, I would just now take my GF-1 and 14 and 20 with a fanny pack.

13. yo_eddy

yo_eddy New to Mu-43

Aug 30, 2010
    I just got back from HK Disneyland. I had the 14-42 and 17. I wouldn't have minded a bit more reach for the parade.

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you're moving up from a P&S, you won't "need" the EVF as much as the former DSLR guys, if budget is tight, that is the first thing I would skip. Wearing a hat makes the screen much easier to see, and is cheap.

15. GregU

GregU Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I just got back from Disney, and I also have 2 children. Although they are a little older (7 & 8) they are a bit of a handful since the tend to wander off very quietly, and they are never "contained" in anything like a stroller. This made stopping to do things like "think" about taking pictures, changing settings, and switching lenses difficult. I took the kit 14-42mm; 40-150mm 4/3 with adapter; and the Panasonic 20mm (which I bought the day before I left). I thought I'd use the 14-42mm the most, but I ended up putting the 20mm on most of the time. I took some "fun/artsy" shots with the 40-150mm, but I wouldn't say these are the photos that I will "remember" our trip to Disney with. I'll admit my kids were not particularly interested in the parade, which I could have easily shot with the 14-42mm since it wasn't too crowded.

I really enjoyed having the little E-PL1 with the 20mm walking around in the land of giant DSLRs. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that my photos were equally appealing. I've posted some in the E-PL1 & Panasonic 20mm threads.

16. bbq797

bbq797 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks--I just ordered the camera and I think I will go w/the 20 mm shortly after (need to make sure the camera is a keeper first) since that seems to be such a favorite. Other lenses remain to be seen.

17. GregU

GregU Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I think you will like the combination. What lens(es) did you get with the E-PL1? Did you get the 14-42mm and/or the 40-150mm?

18. bbq797

bbq797 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Not sure if your question was for me or not. I just ordered the E-PL2; I'm coming from a p&s, never owned an E-PL1.

19. PetitP

PetitP Mu-43 Regular

Hello Bbq,
    As to me, the 14-150 would be nice whenever you are outside with its capability to go from wide to far zooming.
    However, the 20 comes as a must everytime you are inside (and you quite often inside also at Disney's.....)
    If you want to restrict to one lens only...I would advice the 20.

I don't think you would need a specific photo bag...the 14-150, with a light and thin protection, is small enough to fit in many other places....and I don't even mention the 20.....

Most of all....enjoy the place :)

20. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    :thumbup: And outdoors at night, the 20mm is a real shiner as it captures all the artificial light coming from the buildings, castle, rides etc.

I don't think I would even take a zoom to a place like Disneyland/ Disneyworld...unless my party was really patient, and I liked landscape shots of the park. That's just me.