E-PL2 : is this normal?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jim_khoo, Jun 4, 2011.

1. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    just got a used e-pl2 today and found that there is
    an "orangie" effect shown on the LCD screen when
    the subject is "white" or "very bright" . it is unlikely,
    but is this phenomena normal? pictures taken are
    "normal" tho'... :confused:

or is it due to some setting by the previous owner?

does anybody have the same experience with their

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Are you shooting in JPG? If so, then what is shown on the screen should be the exact same as the final image (disregarding differences in monitors and monitor brightness - in fact, I find the E-PL2 LCD needs to be tuned down to -7 brightness to match what I see on the computer screen). As far as color balance, if it shows differently on your LCD than as on a color-calibrated computer monitor, then it could be the fault of the camera's LCD and it may need to be sent back.

However, there is one setting that could have been changed by the previous owner. Go into the wrench menu and find the Monitor Brightness icon. There is both a color temperature and brightness value. Make sure the Color Temp is on 0. A small negative value could produce the orange tone you describe, while a large negative value would produce a red tone.
    The above picture is from the E-3, which only has brightness and not color temp, but this is the icon you're looking for. Here is the E-PL2's menu, and you'll see it has two values under the same icon. The first one is color temp:

As a side note, you may also need to tune down the Brightness setting as I described earlier... open a file on your computer and at the same time one on your camera, and adjust it to match, or you may find you're coming out with underexposed photos that looked great when you shot them.

Of course, it always makes sense when getting a previously owned camera to do a factory reset before applying any of your own settings. Go into the first Camera menu and choose Reset/Myset, then pick Reset. That should bring you back to defaults.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Sounds like the highlight display marking the overexposed, or nearly overexposed, areas. The previous owner may have changed the IFO setting to only show the Highlight & Shadow view and may have changed the range on how close to the upper exposure limit the orange shows. BTW, the Oly manual says the highlights are red, but they sure look orange on my camera.

To fix this, look at PG 30, 60 and page 80 of the manual. You will need to go to:

Custom Menu (two gears)>DISP/PC (gear D)>INFO SETTING>INFO (and LV INFO)> and see what views are turned on and off. The Highlight & Shadow View obviously is.

I don't remember there being an easy way to reset the E-PL2 to all factory defaults but leaving the battery out for about 36-48 hours should do it. You might want to consider this in case some things are set to oddball personal favorites (like mine).

• Like Like x 1
  4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    This does not seem normal to me. My Screen does not do this. The suggestions above should be considered. I would spend some time in the menus. Perhaps look for a completed factory reset of the camera option.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I wouldn't want this as my view, but you do it easily enough.

Do this:

Custom Menu (two gears)>DISP/PC (gear D)>INFO SETTING>LV INFO> and turn off the views except the HIGHLIGHT&SHADOW. What you will see is exactly what Jim is describing. Or if you have H&S enabled as one of you INFO button views, press the INFO button to rotate through the views until you see that view.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur

the H&S was "on". no more orange now...
  7. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    Figured as much.

The E-PL2 is a very flexible camera that can be easily customized. The options aren't always what I WANT, but there are lots of options. Now, if they could just right a decent manual that actual explained things better and said "if you change X then A, B, and C will also be affected......"

Maybe next life.....