1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL2 Images

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by klrman, Aug 12, 2011.

1. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Just got my camera and thought I would post one of my first photos. Used SCN and #13 Nature Macro with kit lens. Since this is the first decent camera I have ever owned, the image quality looks like a huge upgrade over what I had before.

bee2a.

bee2.

bee2b.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Nice. Did you use macro adapter?

3. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks! No, just used the 14-42 kit lens that came with my camera.

4. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    Wow! Nice capture. amazing how that was
    taken with just the kit lens!!

5. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    The 14-42 kit lens on the Oly E-PL2 is one helluva lens!

6. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    I don't know enough about lens yet, but I thought that the lens that came with this camera was producing some good sharp images, especially since I took it without a tripod. When I zoomed in, I could see how unsteady my hand really was with the image frantically moving up and down in the LCD, but it still seemed to work ok. Good camera for a beginner like me!

7. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    I think you are a talented beginner! :smile:

8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    This thread helped break the tie for me. Was considering GF2 vs. EPL2 for small carry-anywhere duty; opted for my first Oly ever! Thanks to OP for the encouragement!!

9. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Are SCN and #13 Nature Macro options that can be set on the camera? That is a gorgeous photo, great job!

10. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Nature Macro is a scene mode. It's basically full auto.

11. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks everyone! Have to admit, just had my E-PL2 over a week now but I really like it. Once I can understand how to use manual mode and play with all the functions more, then it will be real fun. I got this 1/2 inch grasshopper shot today.

I used #22 function this time in SCN mode. It is the one with the lady bug picture and just says "macro". I had the 14-42 kit lens at full zoom, then pressed the zoom button on top of "fn" to make the focus box smaller, then hit it again so that it zooms much closer on the LCD for focusing the target to make sure it would be a decent shot and this is what came out.

My kit came with a zeikos macro lens which I have not used yet at all, but I'm guessing it is a cheapo lens? If anyone knows of a high quality macro lens for the e-pl2 so that the details on these small bugs can become even more crisp and defined please let me know.

gh-0.

gh-1-1.

gh-2.

12. fcampbell48854

fcampbell48854 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2011
    Michigan
    I've had my E-PL2 for several months now and really like it. I miss a dedicated ISO control, as I have on my Nikon D200. Perhaps there is a setting I could make to create an easier way to change ISO than going through the menus every time. The weakness was in the kit lens, I think. It was only when I attached my old Nikon AI manual focus lenses that I realized how good the images were from the E-PL2. And I could focus the Nikon lenses much more precisely than I could on the D200. Really impressive images! But the images using the 14-42 Olympus lens were a bit disappointing.

My main use for the E-PL2 is documenting my home town when I take exercise walks. I post these on web pages after resizing to 25% original. After resizing and sharpening a bit they look quite good, but the zoom range wasn't what I wanted for this purpose. I recently added the Olympus 14-150, which I have used for two photo walks. So far I'd say the images are similar in quality to the 14-42, but the zoom range is almost ideal for my purposes. The first image below was made using the Dramatic Tone art filter. Follow the link to my web page of my visit to the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, Grand Rapids, Michigan. I describe my experiences with this lens on the E-PL2 there in more detail.

Visit to Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, Grand Rapids, Michigan on 10 August 2011

[​IMG]
    Olympus PEN E-PL2
    14-150 at 22mm F11 1/400 sec ISO 200
    Dramatic Tone art filter

[​IMG]
    Olympus PEN E-PL2
    14-150 at 100mm F5.6 1/500 sec ISO 400

13. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    sunflower
    & flower lady

e-pl2/17mm
    6037904476_11d625fcff_b.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    You can assign that function to a position on the thumbwheel thingy. I'm used to having a dedicated ISO setting button on the right-facing arrow of my E-620, so I assigned the right button of the E-PL2 (the one with the "Flash" symbol) to pull up the ISO selections. This works in every mode except iAuto (which takes complete control of just about everything in the camera) and certain "Scene" modes.

To set this up, try the following drill:

-- select P,A,S or M from the Mode dial
    -- press the Menu button
    -- scroll down to the "gears" menu (some folks call this the "cogs" menu)
    -- press the right arrow on the scroll wheel
    -- scroll down to the "Button/Dial" menu and press the right arrow again
    -- scroll down to the third "Function" line, the one that shows "FUNCTION" preceded by a right-pointing arrow
    -- press the right arrow again
    -- use the up/down buttons (or the wheel) to select "ISO"
    -- press "OK"

Now press "Menu" several times to exit the menu and you're done.

Next time you press the right arrow while in the P,A,S or M mode (or any other mode that permits it) the ISO selection choices will pop up at the bottom of your LCD. Just navigate to the one you want and press "OK".

Sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Once you've gone thru the initial drill to set up the button, direct-selecting ISO is easy.

Hope you find this helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  15. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011

Nice sunflower jim! We are many in our garden :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. fcampbell48854

fcampbell48854 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2011
    Michigan
    Wow, it's like magic! Thanks for this fantastic tip. I've set up the right arrow for ISO and the down arrow for exposure compensation. My life will be much easier from now on. I hope a good guide book to the E-PL2 comes out soon. I would never have found this tip in the little instruction book that came with the camera. Thanks again!
    Franklin

17. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

Interesting shots!

18. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Gorgeous colours! Just amazing. Very well done :)

19. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    That was a great tip thanks! I think you missed one step though for those that may not find it.

-- select P,A,S or M from the Mode dial
    -- press the Menu button
    -- scroll down to the "gears" menu (some folks call this the "cogs" menu)
    -- press the right arrow on the scroll wheel
    -- scroll down to the "Button/Dial" menu and press the right arrow again
    -- scroll down to "Button Function" and press right arrow again
    -- scroll down to the third "Function" line, the one that shows "FUNCTION" preceded by a right-pointing arrow
    -- press the right arrow again
    -- use the up/down buttons (or the wheel) to select "ISO"
    -- press "OK"

20. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    I was playing this evening with the macro adapter from zeikos that came with the kit I got and tested it by shooting some linen at night with just house bulbs on in the room. There is quite a difference in detail with the macro adapter on. Could see in much more detail the fibers on the threads as opposed to not having it on. Should have used it on my "bee" and "grass hopper" photos but got too excited unpacking the camera that I couldn't wait to take a few shots.

I got this ladybug with the kit lens too. Would have been better with the macro adapter but it's a start. I waited a very long time for the ladybug to spread her wings, move a leg, do anything, but it just sat there lol. Didn't want to poke it with a stick so just ended up moving on.

lba.

Another thing that I liked about the E-PL2 was how realistic the images looked to me. Below I took a shot of hay bails, and when I downloaded it to my pc, I thought "that is exactly how the scene looked in color". I was playing around with the settings in P mode and this one was set to vivid. It was more realistic than "natural" mode which seemed to dull out colors until it did not have that "feel there" moment and iauto seems to boost colors just too much for me. When I downsized this image for this thread, the detail lessened a little. Sun was shining to the left side of me, but the image still maintained fairly good contrast levels in spite of that.

haybails.

• Like Like x 1