E-PL2... Gap between the top cover and the body

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by yinhan16, Aug 25, 2011.

1. yinhan16

yinhan16 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Hi all,

I recently bought an E-PL2 and I found that the gap between the top cover and the body is relatively big and obvious as compared to the photos and videos on the internet showing other E-PL2 cameras... Please find the attached photos of my E-PL2 showing the gap I mentioned.

To those who own an E-PL2, is it normal? Do you have it on your E-PL2? Please help! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Mine is black so I have to shine a flashlight on it to see that close, but it looks pretty much like yours does. Yours is just more pronounced because it's white.

3. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Mine looks like yours and I have a white one too. First thing I noticed when I unpacked it for the first time lol.

4. yinhan16

yinhan16 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Hey, thanks for the reply, at least I know I'm not alone :)

Anyway, I feel pretty disappointed with the gap. Olympus should have done better on this, since this is not a cheap camera...

I'm planning to cover it up with some kind of stickers.. Just to avoid dust from going in through the gap.. :(

5. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    I was disappointed too, especially for the money they were asking. I was thinking of a small bead of white acrylic silicone and then wipe it off so it's flush. The gap will disappear. A little worried though if a hair size part eventually falls off that silicone and messes up the electronics inside, but I guess it may still be better than having a lot of dust get in first.

Just love the camera, but the penny pinching of these companies is starting to get ridiculous. They never even included a lens hood.

6. yinhan16

yinhan16 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Yeah, I love my camera too although it is not prefect. How long have you been owning it? I just bought mine 2 weeks ago :biggrin:

But I don't dare to squeeze any sort of liquid close to my camera, you will never know what will happen if the liquid falls in. I hope the sticker will do the job :smile:

7. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Had mine about 2 weeks too :biggrin: I'm not convinced with the silicone just as of yet either! I printed the user manual on mine and set it into a folder so that I read it at night before going to sleep always. Much easier reading 8.5x11 pages than the pages in the small manual. Could read it on the screen, but somehow don't like to do it that way.

8. yinhan16

yinhan16 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    The manual is another failure. It's not complete and not describing in detail, makes me quite struggle to understand some of the functions :mad:

Anyway do you know there is a toy lens by SLR Magic which suits E-PL2? I'm quite impressed with such a tiny toy lens and it seems very fun to use. However it's not cheap, selling at around USD130 on ebay :(

9. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    People who know more about camera's I guess would think the manual is great, but for the rest of us, it seems very little effort from Oly went into it. That's where searching on the net reveals many things that the manual fails to explain. It's kind of fun though discovering more and more things about the E-PL2 everyday little by little. Never hear of the toy lens you are talking about, will look into it today, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  10. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    that looks like chassis flex from the grip, i have one on the same spot of my epl1 as well

11. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I just inspected my own with a strong magnifying glass and there is absolutely no sign of anything like that - mine appears to be sunken a bit lower giving it a one piece look; as if the top part of the grip and the step up to the dial are one part out of the mould....

12. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Oh, I think your guess would be wrong on that one. I've been shooting cameras of all types for more than 50 years and cannot remember ever seeing camera manuals more poorly written than what today's manufacturers are "printing" (when they bother to print one).

Perhaps they may read better in Japanese, but the English language manuals I've seen from Panasonic, Olympus, Sony and Nikon (don't know about Canon) suck big time.

Back to the OP's question, though... I just examined my E-PL2 with a magnifying glass and there does not appear to be a gap at all. Build quality on the unit I have seems much better than what I expected. But it would have been nice to have a lens hood included and a decent screw-on rear lens cap instead of the snap-on soft-plastic one. But I guess the average consumer coming from a point-n-shoot wouldn't know to expect them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. yinhan16

yinhan16 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Whatever it is, it shouldn't be found on the camera with that price tag. Damn. But I still love it very much.. :frown:

14. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Good to know as I really thought it sucked too! I've been reading all my life complicated manuals and no problem, but it really seems as though Oly printed the manual just to get it out there to feel good about it. What would it have taken to give it a little more effort?

I could take pics of my E-PL2's screen menue in color and then insert a no nonsense clearly written example of what it applies too and then pdf it, color pics and all so that a buyer would feel eternally grateful that Olympus took the time and decency to value it's customers. It would make great marketing sense and produce some good brand loyalty, but I think, the facts really are that no matter what, these companies are making a fortune and believe that less is better since do or die, the money still rolls in.

If you notice my username it's "Klrman". I own many motorbikes, one of them being a KLR. Case in point, this is a great bike, just like an E-PL2, but rather than a poorly written manual, people have been begging for nearly 30 years to give it a sorely needed 6th gear and to no surprise, the manufacturer refuses to do it. It just is what it is.

15. yinhan16

yinhan16 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Hey Bob, can you please do me a favor by taking a photo of your E-PL2 showing that there is no such gap on it? I will visit the service center very soon and I would like to show them your photo. Can you please help? :smile:

16. yinhan16

yinhan16 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Hey Derek, can you help me too? Snap a photo of your E-PL2 showing that there is no any sort of opening on your camera? I need to show it to the staff in the service center and probably will ask them to replace it with a new one. Thanks a lot! :smile:

17. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    @ yinhan. Yup, I can do that for you, but it'll probably be the beginning of the week as I'll need to borrow a half decent camera to do it....

• Like Like x 1
  18. yinhan16

yinhan16 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 25, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    No problem. Thanks again :bravo-009: :smile:

19. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Never mind the beginning of the week, I got it done today....

I couldn't borrow a proper camera, so I manged to get a loan of a friends Nikon instead..... unfortunately it was a Coolpix and did more hunting than John Rambo - it took me about 20 minutes to get these two shots in (so called) macro mode.

The 'black' you see in the pictures where you have a gap is shadow, not actually a gap of any kind, but it was very difficult to get it as I can actually see it.

25zt2fb.

1z56o13.

You can get the large JPEG's here if you want to crop and print or anything like that...

20. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Okay... I'll try and shoot that sometime tomorrow unless my SO springs a new list of chores on me at the last minute, in which case I'll shoot it Monday!
    :rolleyes: