1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-PL2 for nature

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by buffy1270, Aug 24, 2011.

1. buffy1270

buffy1270 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2010
    Hi. I am interested in using micro 4/3 for mostly birding, nature and macro photography. This is a hobby and I am a beginner so no need for anything professional here. I just want to have fun with it and add a new aspect to hobbies I currently enjoy such as birding, hiking, etc. I have been posting on the Panasonic section of the forum because I was trying to decide between a Panasonic G3 or G2. However I had a chance to hold a G2 and it just didn't feel "right" in my hands for lack of a better word. I also held the Olympus E-PL2 and it felt great to me in hand. I have never had a chance to hold a G3 as of yet. I keep leaning toward the G3 because of some of the upgrades that I have heard may be important for the type of photography I would like to do. However, I really like the feel of the E-PL2. Have any of you used the E-PL2 for the types of photography I mention or is it unsuitable and should I concentrate on the G3? I don't mention the Olympus E-P3 or Panasonic GH2 because these are out of my price range. I don't mention the Olympus E-PL3 because I am thinking it would be too small for me personally. Thanks!

Karen

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PL2 is perfect for what you're doing, but since you'll be outdoors a lot and probably shooting in ambient light, I would get the VF-2 or VF-3 electronic viewfinder (the VF-3 is cheaper).

• Like Like x 1
  3. bwiles

bwiles New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2011
    try the G3

Like the previous poster mentions you may want to consider the VF2. If you think you need a viewfinder I suggest you revist the G3. I do a lot of nature shooting with my E-PL2 and don't recall a time when I have'nt been able to compose because of glare. However, I think the viewfinder along with the hinged display ,for composing low to to the ground shots, of the G3 would be nice. I haven't checked prices recently but I think a E-Pl2 + VF2 and the G3 are probably similar in price. Try to think about your shooting style/needs.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.