E-PL2 for nature

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by buffy1270, Aug 24, 2011.

1. buffy1270

buffy1270 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2010
    Hi. I am interested in using micro 4/3 for mostly birding, nature and macro photography. This is a hobby and I am a beginner so no need for anything professional here. I just want to have fun with it and add a new aspect to hobbies I currently enjoy such as birding, hiking, etc. I have been posting on the Panasonic section of the forum because I was trying to decide between a Panasonic G3 or G2. However I had a chance to hold a G2 and it just didn't feel "right" in my hands for lack of a better word. I also held the Olympus E-PL2 and it felt great to me in hand. I have never had a chance to hold a G3 as of yet. I keep leaning toward the G3 because of some of the upgrades that I have heard may be important for the type of photography I would like to do. However, I really like the feel of the E-PL2. Have any of you used the E-PL2 for the types of photography I mention or is it unsuitable and should I concentrate on the G3? I don't mention the Olympus E-P3 or Panasonic GH2 because these are out of my price range. I don't mention the Olympus E-PL3 because I am thinking it would be too small for me personally. Thanks!

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PL2 is perfect for what you're doing, but since you'll be outdoors a lot and probably shooting in ambient light, I would get the VF-2 or VF-3 electronic viewfinder (the VF-3 is cheaper).
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bwiles

bwiles New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2011
    try the G3

Like the previous poster mentions you may want to consider the VF2. If you think you need a viewfinder I suggest you revist the G3. I do a lot of nature shooting with my E-PL2 and don't recall a time when I have'nt been able to compose because of glare. However, I think the viewfinder along with the hinged display ,for composing low to to the ground shots, of the G3 would be nice. I haven't checked prices recently but I think a E-Pl2 + VF2 and the G3 are probably similar in price. Try to think about your shooting style/needs.
    • Like Like x 1