E-PL2 for my daughter?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kyphotoguy, Nov 10, 2012.

1. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    Today I took my daughter to Nashville so she could tour Vanderbilt University and while there I let her use my PM1. She really likes the lil 4/3 buts says she wants a E-PL2 instead for Christmas.

This would be her first camera besides her iPhone5 and a few p/s I have bought her.

Should I try and talk her into another model?

Going to go the refurb route like I did and spend extra cash on some lens.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nope, she's making a good choice on the E-PL2. Get her that, she'll like it. :) I still use mine in the studio all the time. It's a wonderful little camera.

3. Nonnit

Nonnit Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2012
    Iceland
    1.5 year ago(or so??) I got the E-Pl1 with kit lens for my daughter, later I gave her some manual lenses(fast 50mm prime/50mm macro) and the FL300R

At the time she had crappy camera and no clue about photography.

This is her one year ago with the new camera:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/66582418@N05/6555790877/" title="Girl with camera! by Nonnit, on Flickr"> 6555790877_87e30e79c4_b. "1024" height="809" alt="Girl with camera!"></a>

This is the resault so far on flickr:

Flickr: Krissa1987's Photostream

The way I see it, it has little to do with the camera model but all with the lenses!!! (and flash).

I have to say that she is doing great on sunset pics!

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    e-pL2 is a good choice with the inbuilt flash and great handling.
    Also : cheap!

She can always get an e-pM2 later ...

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-PL2 is a great camera. The only complaint I have with mine is the lack of an AF assist light. This makes focus in very low light situations harder.

6. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    +1 for the E-PL2

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Glass is the best long-term investment :smile:

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    She has a good eye as well. The E-PL2 is cheap now, especially if you can find a refurbished one.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    She may also like a a GF series. Not as cute, but a bit cleaner lines.

Gary

PS- There are a few E-PL2's here for sale as well. No warranty, but may be a bit cheaper and you could vet the owner.
    G

10. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012

Impressive!

Thanks for the input!

She is such a good kid(well, young lady)and has worked so very hard academically. I told her I would get her a more conventional DSLR but she like the size and retro look of the E-PL2.

I am just hoping she gets into Vandy. Been her dream for a while.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I just looked at her photostream, and it looks like she is doing very well with the E-PL1. It looks like she must be very comfortable with that camera. In that case, she should love the E-PL2. It is in every way better than the E-PL1 (in my opinion) but in no way worse. In other words, it's "the E-PL1 done right". So she should feel right at home with it, but also find it a worthy upgrade.

And more importantly, it's inexpensive enough to save plenty of room for lenses. ;)

I personally find the E-PL2 to fit like an old glove. I always end up going back to it, and it's always kicking around somewhere in my arsenal and reached for when it's there. It's the "just right' camera.

12. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Your thoughts are reflecting perfectly mine, but you're better to put them into words ;-)

13. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    E-PL2 arrived today but I was not home to sign for it. I also picked up a good deal on a D5100 that I will be able to use my older AF-S lens on.

Yes, I have the bug!

14. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    +1 to everything others have said about the EPL2. I think it's still the best looking, most functional, and best package of the pens. I just hope they bring an EP5 or something that continues its tradition now that the PL series is so similar to the PMs...

15. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    +1

I'm trying, but so far haven't convinced myself to upgrade just yet. The pl2 is a piece of art, and has all the features I need for fun photography, and when I need to get serious, I have my d700.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1