E-PL2 flash woes...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by manzoid, Oct 6, 2012.

1. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    A while ago I was tring to shoot with the bult in flash of my E-PL2 and it did not work. The battery was almost dead, so I chalked it up to that...However in playing with the camera tonight, I could not get the flash to fire for the life of me.

Nearly fully charged original battery, flash extended, set to full power, mode dial on 'A' or 'P', left to charge for close to a minute... But no flash. When I half press the shutter button I see the brownish-orange lighning-bolt arrow flash icon show up, but no flash.

Am I forgetting something simple that will make me say 'duh' after a friendly forum member points it out?

Suggestions as to what may be wrong?

Thanks.

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can't think of anything setting wise that would prevent the flash from firing if it is set where you have it. I tested with those settings and mine works. It may be that your flash is malfunctioning. Sorry.:frown:

• Like Like x 1
  3. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks for the reply and verification that it is not likely user error.

Anyone know whether it could be a simple and cheap fix like replacing a flash bulb (does that happen?) or is it likely something more serious?

Too bad... One of the things that was keeping me from splurging on one of the new models was being able to use a flash and my EVF at the same time.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If it does need repair it won't be cheap. This is the sad thing about these modern digital cameras. I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 that has a stuck button but it would cost more to fix than it's retail value is. If you have the tools and can get the parts it might could be a DIY fix.

5. gunky

gunky Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    You have probably a damaged flash boarddamaged... Maybe the fuse it's gone...

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    welcome to the age of disposable electronics. Is it still under warranty?

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    There's a micro-switch that detects that the flash unit is extended. It could be jammed with a bit of crud preventing the camera from knowing that it's popped up. Try cleaning the compartment and the articulation mechanism before you give up on it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gunky

gunky Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2012

this is also true