e-pl2 fl-300r external flash help

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tomjones_85, Jul 18, 2011.

1. tomjones_85

tomjones_85 New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2011
    Hi I'm new to m43,

I have an e-pl2 and got the fl300r today. It works in RC mode. However, when put on the hotshoe the camera doesnt seem to recognize it. Is there somewhere hidden in the menus to activate ttl-auto/manual modes with an attached flash, or is something else going on?

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    You just might be the only forum member at the moment with the FL-300r :wink:
  3. tomjones_85

tomjones_85 New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2011
    lol yeah . a direct answer will be hard to find. :) However, when the FL36 or FL50 is attached to the hotshoe, how do you set up ttl-auto or manual modes. Do those options just become available as the flash is attached. Or do you need to navigate the menus to enable the hotshoe flash?
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I was gonna say the same thing -- Mike is a pathfinder on this one. Let us know what you learn!
  5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    If the 300r doesn't have a Mode button, then it's the first Oly flash of it's kind. This means that the existing bodies with require a FW update to take over that role. I see that the Oly site only lists the new models as being compatible. :eek:
  6. tomjones_85

tomjones_85 New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2011
    A trip to best buy

So I went to best buy, tried the fl-300r on their e-pl2 display unit.. and it worked... meaning something is wrong with my e-pl2 hotshoe (contacts are getting power) or i messed up with the menus... Any quick ways to do a full factory reset on the camera (not reset/myset)?
  7. Frankenknipser

Frankenknipser New to Mu-43

Aug 6, 2011
    Clean Contacts

Hello to all of you,
    I had the same problem with the E-PL2 and ext. flash-units (tried some wireless studio transmitters and the FL-300R - nothing works).

Now I took a close look to the hotshoe and found the contacts on the side of the hotshoe were grey (like covered with colour from the black hotshoe). After cleaning them with a fibreglass brush all works fine.

My FL-300R works plug and play now!

• Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks Werner. I don't have the 300R (yet), but it's tips like these that really help.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!
  9. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    So how the EPL2 works with that flash? I have that pen model and I'm wondering about a wireless flash (I want the 36r but the 300r is really pocketable...)

Wireless mode, does it work as the other (50r and 36r) Olympus RC flashes? Just set it on the RC panel?

Hot-Shoe mode? Auto only? Or I can change the power in manual mode?

Sorry for the lots of questions and thank you!
  10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I got the FL-300R this Friday and was able to test it with my E-PL1.

RC mode works fine - you just have to set the flash and camera mode to both use RC.

From what I can tell though, the 300R doesn't support Super FP Flash mode :frown:

Great little flash though...