E-PL2 Exposure/EVF Question?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DekHog, Jun 23, 2011.

1. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Is there any way to get the camera to show the scene properly exposed, even though it's metering underexposure?

I was shooting with off camera flash last week, and the camera metering was reading the shot at -3EV, but the problem is that it also shows what you're looking at through the EVF or on the LCD as -3EV, so it's horridly dark.

I would have been needing to use an exposure of 1 second to show the scene correctly, and that's obviously no use at all....

2. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    So you've got -3.0 EV dialed in as compensation? That's the downside of Live View - you'll get everything in real-time except for final exposure. I love it because I can immediately see things like WB color cast changes, but this is one of those scenarios that are problematic with LV.

3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Not dialled in as compensation as such. I was using the pop up flash set at 1/16th power to trigger a flashgun with optical slave. I've set lowest flash/shutter speed to be 1/10th, so at F5.6 and 1/10th sec, the camera is showing -3EV and reflecting this in the viewing, but obviously not in the final image.

I guess I'll have to think about a small D-SLR, as it was next to useless trying to frame/focus anything at -3EV and I use off camera flash quite a lot....

4. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    If you are using a prime then an optical add-on finder would work great in this situation.

-Thomas

• Like Like x 1
  5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    True, that could be one option; maybe the only one! :smile:

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, there is. The function is called "Live View Boost". Hit the Menu button, go down to the Sprocket menu, find Disp/PC, and from there turn on Live View Boost. The scene shown on the LCD or EVF will now ignore the negative Exposure Compensation, allowing you to focus and compose without the image going dark. Simple, right? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Ned, you're right enough, thanks. I was also sure I tried that last week when set up for the shots, but obviously not! :confused: