E-PL2 DOA?

jamespetts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I recently received my E-PL2 that I had ordered, and, on opening it for the first time to-day, found that it did not seem to work properly: whenever I take a still photograph, the screen will go blank about half a second after pressing the shutter release (although the blue power light remains on), and the camera will fail to respond in any way to any command until I power off and on again using the power button. Most of the time, the photograph that I have just attempted to take has not recorded on the SD card, but, very occasionally, it does record.

I have tried: (1) reformatting the SD card; (2) using a different (and known good, albeit slow and small) SD card; (3) charging the supplied battery fully; (4) using two different :43: lenses, two different adapted manual lenses, and no lens at all; (5) a whole range of different menu settings (including continuous shooting, in which case the camera will often fail with the mechanical shutter closed, that is, part way through the second exposure); and (6) using the memory card that I bought in a different camera (which worked fine).

Video works consistently without difficulty. Is the camera dead, or am I missing something?

Edit: Incidentally, I had ordered the camera from Camera Box, which had been sold as part of a bundle including bag, memory card and spare battery. However, I have found that the spare battery is a BLS-1, which is, according to the manual, incompatible with the E-PL2 and the case, which was not the case mentioned on the website, is too small to fit the camera and both supplied lenses. Has anyone else had issues of this sort with Camera Box?

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
The BLS-1 battery will work fine in your E-PL2. The BLS-5 conforms to new Japanese power standards and gives slightly longer life, but both work fine in the camera. The extra contact on the BLS-5 is only read by the charger, not the camera.

As to your DOA camera, I'm not sure what to say... did you try a Hard Reset to Factory Defaults?

DekHog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It certainly sounds like a DOA, which is a real pity, as having just looked at the deal it's a fantastic price for the UK for the items supplied. It seems you've tried everything I can think of myself, but someone might come up with something. Don't let them fob you off with a repair if it has to go back - I also hope it was paid for with a credit card and not a debit card just in case you have any problems with them?

The BLS-1 is compatible with the E-PL2, although I believe you can't charge the BLS-5 in a BLS-1 charger as it's a contact short. I have two BLS-1's and they charge and work fine in my own E-PL2.

DekHog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Apologies to the OP for going OT but, Ned, can you go back to this thread and maybe explain to me what you mean about the E-PL2 not having the ugly box green focus points?

It's been annoying me for days now!! :smile:

SCT

Mu-43 Regular
Although not an EPL2, when I first bought my EPL1, the VERY FIRST EPL1 I purchased from a local BestBuy was defective. The screen would go blank within a few minutes or less when you turn it on, freezes, emits weird noises, etc.

I'm sure if the camera doesn't accept the battery, it wouldn't either fit or, if it does fit, will not turn on. Also, if the memory card have an internal issue, the camera would give you a warning like memory card reading failure or something.

If the EPL2 you purchased is not a used one but an absolute BRAND NEW, I highly suggest contacting the place you bought it from for a replacement.

If the EPL2 is used, a lot of places that sell used items do not allow exchanges or refunds since the items are used and they can't gaurantee the item will last. "SOLD AS-IS, NO WARRANTY, FINAL SALE" items.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Apologies to the OP for going OT but, Ned, can you go back to this thread and maybe explain to me what you mean about the E-PL2 not having the ugly box green focus points?

It's been annoying me for days now!! :smile:

I responded, but I'm not sure you'll like my answer. ;)

jamespetts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thank you all for your replies. I have not tried a hard reset to factory settings - how would I try that?

It is indeed brand new, and would, therefore, be under warranty. My concern about returning it is that I might have to wait a very long time to get a replacement, as the only remaining item in stock may have sold out by the time that the people in the shop have checked my camera to make sure that it really is faulty, and I might then have to wait a very long time, since the twin lens kit version is out of stock in a great many places with no estimated time of restocking (I am guessing due to earthquake related supply problems). Indeed, one of the main reasons that I chose this particular outlet in the first place was because they had a live stock indicator and had some in stock.

Edit: Trying it with no memory card at all produces identical symptoms. I have also tried the reset via the menu system as stated by the manual, and there is no difference. The camera must be faulty. I have had an e-mail from the Camera Box people advising me to return it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom