E-PL2 Dental Macro Photography Setup

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AlexShalman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. AlexShalman

AlexShalman New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2011
    Hey everyone,

I'm an amateur photographer, and current dental student.

I just purchased the E-PL2 and also the Lumix G 2mm f/1.7 lens. I use it to take pics at parties, street photography in NYC, and my absolute favorite- food photography.

One thing I realized I can't use this setup for is Dental Photography, because my lens doesn't focus that close, and because there isn't enough light to properly illuminate the teeth and adjacent mucosa. Now I know I need a macro lens, and I know I need a ring flash. I'm not sure what all my options are.

Are far as lenses are concerned, all I found was the super expensive LEICA DG MACRO-ELMARIT 45mm / F2.8. Are far as ring flashes, I found the mecablitz 15 MS-1 digital.

I'm curious to see what other options I have for a dental macrophotography set up to add to my E-PL2. Thanks guys :)

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    My dentist gets awesome photos using some sort of micro camera shot through a special pen-shaped tool (like a writing pen.....not an Oly Pen). I'm fairly certain that if you plan on using it in an office setting, that there is a specific tool that is better than our camera, but I have an appointment coming up in a couple weeks, so I'll ask him.....maybe I'll see if he'll get me some gruesome macros for y'all.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  4. AlexShalman

AlexShalman New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2011
    Hi Luke,

Intraoral cameras, the one's that look like a pen, are a different animal.

I'm looking for a setup that will let me take pictures of teeth from the front, then using cheek retractors and mirrors take pics from the side, and of the whole upper and lower arch.

5. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    For lighting, Photosmart42 is right on.

For an affordable macro/close-up lens, I'd go for the M42 mount Industar 61 L/Z-MC 50mm f/2.8 soviet lens. Under $60 as new from Ukraine or Russia on eBay. You want the L/Z i.e. Macro 42 screw mount, preferably MC for multicoated.

The front ring reads ИНДУСТАР-61Л/З-МС 2,8/50

Perfect for your job, will do a good portrait lens too.

7. fcampbell48854

fcampbell48854 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2011
    Michigan
    I've been experimenting with an LED ring light for coin photography. This is not a flash but a continuous light that looks much like a ring flash. The one I have is the RoHS Ring48 (apparently sold under various brand names), which has 48 LEDs. You can illuminate only the left 24 or right 24 or all 48. It uses 2 AA batteries or connects to your regular electrical outlet. It connects to your camera via an adapter which screws into your lens filter threads.

You can Google RoHS Ring48 for information or try searching suppliers for "LED Light Ring" such as eBay for various alternatives. I use my ring light mounted on a Nikon-mount lens (Nikkor 55/2.8 or Panagor 90/2.8) via an Fotodiox adapter, but I also use a macro stand for a solid base for my manual focusing. The E-PL2 ability to magnify the view for precise manual focusing works well for me but I haven't tried it hand-held for close-up photography, where slight changes in position could ruin the focus. I have had good manual focusing results for regular photography using various Nikon lens using the camera body IS (Image Stablization) at regular distances.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    LED lights are pretty cool. I have an LED video light array which I use for focus assist in dark places, and of course video. It can also be used as a macro light, and gives a nice broad light which easily covers a full macro area.

If you're going to go with continuous lighting, you can also look at the MAL-1 Macro Light Arm from Olympus. Personally though, I'm still a fan of strobe lighting. I like the way it freezes action, and I am quite a power-buff when it comes to lighting. ;)

9. agbfoto

agbfoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 22, 2011
    Hi AlexShalman
    Here you got 2 images taken with the DZ 50mm F2, and 2 taken with the Sigma 105mm F2.8 (Oly E330 and E520)
    For the E330 shots I used a Sunpak DX 8R Ring Flash and for the E520 a Metz MS15
    Exif intact, so you can see for yourself the difference

PA015248x00001.

P7024553sd00003.

FO09118800002.

PC03929000001.

The Zuiko is very sharp and color are warmer than the Sigma, but I'm not sure the DZ 50mm F2 can handle the MS15 without using the FR-1 Flash adapter ring.
    Also note the Zuiko is not easy to focus manually, bat it can be done..
    You can get the Sunpak for $100 (ebay)
    One more thing.. the DZ Zuiko is 1:2 and the Leica and Sigma are both 1:1
    And... Minimal focus distance on the Zuiko is shorter than with the Sigma..
    Regards
    PS. Sorry to the other guys for the "bloody" pictures
    AGBFOTO

• Like Like x 2
  10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    You should probably put a link to those - that is ungodly awful to look at!

• Like Like x 1
  11. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    yeah...glad you're a dentist and not a proctologist.....

• Like Like x 3
  12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I hope this hasn't soured my enjoyment of macro photography forever!

13. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Roark

Roark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I use my E-PL2 with the kit lens and the MAL-1 light with my patients. It doesn't scare them, and most importantly, is a very cheap option if you already have that camera. I get away with it just fine. And another plus is that it won't be much to carry when you go from clinic and back.

15. What has been seen...cannot be unseen...

16. vonbonds

vonbonds Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 25, 2010
    Landenberg, PA
    Lol...I can't stop laughing at this comment! :)

17. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    What the hell man?!

;)

Wow, I would just eat through a straw if I needed that work....

18. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I don't mind - but I can see where people would. I used to work in the National Zoo animal hospital where we would have slide shows of autopsies over lunch. :eek:

Does this forum have an tag that supports hiding/unhiding sections such as:

Picture

[hide]Picture[/hide]​

If not then links would be the best option.

19. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    Indeed!!! Wow wasn't expecing that!!! Please put them as a link with a huge WARNING!

People may actually faint!!

20. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    BTW, Can the Mods Sticky this thread? :D